cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

License Borrowing

TZiemba
1-Newbie

License Borrowing

We are looking at using the "License Borrowing" option for those that travel for the company. Before we do we would like to know some of the Pros and Cons before we do this.
4 REPLIES 4

"Tom Ziemba" wrote:

We are looking at using the "License Borrowing" option for those that travel for the company. Before we do we would like to know some of the Pros and Cons before we do this.

Tom, A CON I found was this. The first time I did a license borrow (not knowing exactly how it worked) I could not open all of the files, as alot of the parts/assemblies I was using were found via our search paths. So I needed to make sure next time I had all of the files backed up in one directory. Now I had files copied out of our storage system that I needed to delete at a later time, to make sure I was using the latest from our search paths back in the office. Dennis

The problem - beyond just having a license - is getting pro to work outside of your company enviroment. You need to do a completely new config.pro (and swap it out before staring up pro) to map to your local drive rather than network drives. You need access to all the files that are on your network - especially library files and piece parts of any assembly you are working on. Copy them all to your local drive before leaving work. Then pro still seems to take forever to start, but will work once running. If someone got tricky with the config.pro, you may have additional problems running remotely (missing files you didn't know about...). I have tried to work via cisco VPN, with zero luck. Pro will start after about 10 minutes of waiting, but it will not load up any models from the (vpn) network. Well, that's not exactly true - they do load, but the network traffic is in bits/sec that doesn't even register on the meter - so I'm guessing after a few days it may actually load a simple assembly. Your network may not have this issue - but mine does. I would check this out before sending someone out of town expecting to have pro access.

This is a good point. If your ProE is configured to load certains files on start up or to read certains file from the network it may cause issues when offline. As always test it before going using. Once again it will depend a lot on what needs to be achieved offline. I am using ProE on my laptop (and only on my laptop). When I am not in my office, as long as I have a internet connection I can log with a VPN to my company network and access the licence server. I have never had the need of borrowing a licence. Once again it is all down to what your needs are. Hope this helps a bit further
Top Tags