cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

License Return Issue

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

License Return Issue

I am running into an issue trying to return a borrowed license.  (yes I do have a support call open but have no answer yet.)  In the middle of the borrowed license I had to update the license file due to a renewal of one of the licenses.  When I did, the borrowed licenses did not show up as being used anymore.  One of the suggestions was to go back to the old license file, but that didn't show the borrowed license either.  I am running the correct command but I get this error:

lmborrow: Error, borrowed license doesn't match any known server license. (-128,595)

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and was able to fix it.

Thank you,

Brian

6 REPLIES 6

@BrianToussaint wrote:

I am running into an issue trying to return a borrowed license.  (yes I do have a support call open but have no answer yet.)  In the middle of the borrowed license I had to update the license file due to a renewal of one of the licenses.  When I did, the borrowed licenses did not show up as being used anymore.  One of the suggestions was to go back to the old license file, but that didn't show the borrowed license either.  I am running the correct command but I get this error:

lmborrow: Error, borrowed license doesn't match any known server license. (-128,595)

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and was able to fix it.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi,

my personal rule is .... when a license is borrowed it is forbidden to replace current license file.

Tip: Return the previous license file and try returning a borrowed license.

If this fails, then ask PTC Support to delete the borrow record on both the server and the client.

Martin Hanák

@BrianToussaint

I would echo with Martin's personal rule 🙂 ...  

But for now I would suggest to try adding double quotes i.e “port@servername” and try return... Not sure it will work in this specific case or not but in the past work for similar error for me. 

I ran into this same problem. When trying to return a license early, I got this error:

"lmborrow: Error, borrowed license doesn't match any known server license. (-128,595)"

"lmborrow - status" nevertheless showed that I had this license and feature borrowed.

What probably was the case is: I had that feature borrowed on my pc, but the license server somehow 'forgot' that I had it. So I could not return anything because the server had not given it to me (or he had forgotten about it).

The solution was to remove the borrowed license from the registry. After that, I could borrow it again.

Method described here:

https://tinyurl.com/y9htzzd8

Kind regards

Restarting the license server application loses all records of borrowed licenses. If you must restart the server, check-in all borrowed licenses first.

I guess this is indeed what happened.

The server is the responsability of our IT department. I have no control over it.

@EddyVE wrote:

I guess this is indeed what happened.

The server is the responsability of our IT department. I have no control over it.

Hi,

I am almost sure that restarting FLEXnet service on license server does not remove information about borrowed licenses.

See https://community.ptc.com/t5/System-Administration/Checked-out-license-won-t-return-after-specified-check-out/td-p/275906 ... information is written in ptc_dborrow file (located in hidden directory) on server.

It is more likely that IT returned an image of the server operating system on which the license was not borrowed.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags