cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

License management for Creo Elements Direct Modeling

hmaie
2-Guest

License management for Creo Elements Direct Modeling

Hi everyone,

If the CAD end-user ran two Creo Elements Direct Modelings in one PC, is it used two licenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MaxR.Kublin
12-Amethyst
(To:hmaie)

What you describe is "as implemented".

*one* Modeling License actually is a "bündle" of *two* licenses, which allows you to run/open  *two* executables on the same machine.

This implements "Modeling includes Drafting", or in other words, you buy 1 x product Modeling and you can run Modeling *plus* Drafting on the same machine,

but *not* on two different machines.

As soon as you start Modeling, the License Server reserves the "bündle of two" licenses for your Computer.

When you start the second Modeling, the License Server gives the "second half" of the license bündle to the second Modeling.

This explains why you see the "license Count = 2" when you start the first and the second Modeling.

When you start a third Modeling, you will pull the next "half of a bündle" from the License Server.

This is why the license usage jumps to 4.

Please note that the ability to start 2 Modeling executables with *one* license bündle is actually an implementation error.

Legally, you are allowed to run 1 Modeling +1 Drafting or 1 Modeling´+ Annotation with this license.

With product Model Manager, the "product" is similar:

"Model Manager includes Drawing Manager"

But with a Model Manager license,, you can only start *one* Model and *one* Drawing Manager,, but not two Model Managers.....

btw. I was the Mentor of Claus Brod.

Regards,

Max

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
FriedhelmK
17-Peridot

Hello,

can only describe my own situation safely.

I have my single license on a USB network adapter.

Can thus start 2x Modeling of  the same version or 2 different versions of Modeling or 1x Modeling and Drafting (drafting in the same version Several times) at the same time.

When I want to start drafting in different versions I have to stop Modeling.

I think that a lot of different scenarios are possible.

In any case, you can precisely define the use of licenses in the file licence.conf.

View the Help in the license directory.

Best regards

Friedhelm

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Dear Friedhelm,

Thank you for your response.

I can't find the license.conf in the license directory.

Is it because the license is managed in my company's license server?

FriedhelmK
17-Peridot

Hi, yes this is possible,

as i wrote before

>I think that a lot of different scenarios are possible.

The best is to ask your Systemadministrator

Best regards

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Hi Friedhelm,

Thank you for your advice.

Hi,

In addition to Friedhelm's response, it is good to know that Modeling takes one license, and activating Annotation takes a second license (just like starting Drafting takes a second license).

You may be able to see the license availability if you know the name or IP address of your company license server. Of course, as Friedhelm suggests, your system administrator could also be very helpful here.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Good luck!

andy

Andy Poulsen

AI MAXTools: Dream. Design. Done. It's That Easy!

Add-in products to make PTC® Creo® Elements/Direct®  and CoCreate® products even faster!

www.ai-maxtools.com

There are several ways to find out where your license server is running.

Open a Windows CMD window.

netstat > c:\Temp\net.txt

Then use a Editor (e.g. Notepad++) and look for '17171' in the file. Result (e.g.)

Line 18:   TCP    127.0.0.1:57570        mkublin-8760w:17171    ESTABLISHED

Then you know that the license server is located on machine mkublin-8760w  (in my example).

Next, use your browser to visit the Web Page of the license server, e.g.

http://mkublin-8760w:17171

For more info, read the license server Help (available through the Web Page above or directly from the Help of Modeling (SolidDesigner))

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks to your help, I have been able to get it.  It will be really helpful for me!!

To be honest, I had known this tool before I posted this topic.

I got this information from Claus's blog.  -> CoCreate Modeling FAQ: Licensing

(This Web site contains plenty of useful information!)

However, I couldn't find out name of the license server.

By the way, I did some experiments.

According to the experiments, it is used two Modeling licences, when I started one Direct Modeling application.(The licence usage became plus two.)

Then, when I started two Direct Modeling application, the licence usage is still plus 2.

When I started three Direct Modeling application, the licence usage became plus two again. (Four licences is used as total.)

Best regards,

MaxR.Kublin
12-Amethyst

What you describe is "as implemented".

*one* Modeling License actually is a "bündle" of *two* licenses, which allows you to run/open  *two* executables on the same machine.

This implements "Modeling includes Drafting", or in other words, you buy 1 x product Modeling and you can run Modeling *plus* Drafting on the same machine,

but *not* on two different machines.

As soon as you start Modeling, the License Server reserves the "bündle of two" licenses for your Computer.

When you start the second Modeling, the License Server gives the "second half" of the license bündle to the second Modeling.

This explains why you see the "license Count = 2" when you start the first and the second Modeling.

When you start a third Modeling, you will pull the next "half of a bündle" from the License Server.

This is why the license usage jumps to 4.

Please note that the ability to start 2 Modeling executables with *one* license bündle is actually an implementation error.

Legally, you are allowed to run 1 Modeling +1 Drafting or 1 Modeling´+ Annotation with this license.

With product Model Manager, the "product" is similar:

"Model Manager includes Drawing Manager"

But with a Model Manager license,, you can only start *one* Model and *one* Drawing Manager,, but not two Model Managers.....

btw. I was the Mentor of Claus Brod.

Regards,

Max

Hi, Max

Thank you for the easy to understand explanation.

MaxR.Kublin
12-Amethyst

If all is clear now, please do me a favor and mark your question as anwered.

Thanks,

Max

Top Tags