cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

License management

nchaminda
1-Newbie

License management

Hi I am new user to PTC and my company. We changed PTC licening service computer name. After renaming that computer we cannot use PTC software installed on othercomputers. The license model we have is FLOATING. Is there any way to reconfigure this license to new computer name and so that we can use it as before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nirosh,

If there is only change in name of server, license manager will stop working as the license file on server includes host name.

You need to change the server name in license.dat (available in installation location of license server) , Save license after editing and restart the license manager service (You may have PTC License manager Service name under Windows services as lmadmin_ptc OR FlexLm server for PTC). Once it will be started successfully, change the name of server on client machines in .psf files (available in installation location\bin of application)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:nchaminda)

Did you obtain a new license file for your new server?

Licenses are tied to the MAC address of the computer, not the name.

The clients are accessing the license by calling port 7788@<license_server_name> in the parametric.psf file.

You cannot just move licenses between machines, it won't work.

Contact PTC license support to move your license. You will need the MAC address of the new server.

To get your hosted, run the PTCHOSTID.bat file located in your loadpoint parametric/bin folder.

Hi,

when you rename license server, then:

1. you have to update license.dat file in FLEXnet installation directory on license server (replace old name with new one)
  2. restart FLEXnet service on license server
  3. update psf files on client machines (for example in Creo2_LOADPOINT\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin directory)

All above mentioned files are editable in Notepad.

MH

Martin Hanák

Nirosh,

If there is only change in name of server, license manager will stop working as the license file on server includes host name.

You need to change the server name in license.dat (available in installation location of license server) , Save license after editing and restart the license manager service (You may have PTC License manager Service name under Windows services as lmadmin_ptc OR FlexLm server for PTC). Once it will be started successfully, change the name of server on client machines in .psf files (available in installation location\bin of application)

Thanks everybody for the support. I will look into it when I go there again on another day in Milan, Italy.

Nirosh,

Are you able to correct this issue?

Dear Mahesh,

Yes I resolved the problem. thanks very much

Nirosh,

You may mark appropriate reply to post as correct answer or add information about correcting that and mark that as correct answer.

Good day Nirosh and Welcome to PTC Community - glad you we able to find your answer.

Best,

Toby

Top Tags