cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MathCad xyz points to Creo Parametric

brice-2
4-Participant

MathCad xyz points to Creo Parametric

I am using Creo Parametric 7.0 7.0.3.0

Is there a way to push a matrix (3x51) of xyz points from MathCad to Creo Parametric?

11 REPLIES 11
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:brice-2)

Hi,

1. A similar question was asked earlier: 

2. From "Help Center" - "About the PTC Mathcad Prime Analysis and PTC Mathcad Prime Analysis Feature": https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r7.0/usascii/index.html#page/model_analysis/bemod/About_Mathcad_Analysis_Feature.html#wwconnect_header

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:brice-2)

This is likely not the best place on the forums to get answers to this kind of question.

If you can't find a direct way to get the points from MathCAD to Creo, you could go about it in a more indirect way:

(1) Output the points to a file from MathCAD (Excel? Text file?) I don't know what your options are here since we don't use MathCAD.

(2) Use the X, Y, Z points to make a .ibl file. It's a relatively simple file format. Here's a sample:

open pointwise
begin section !1
begin curve
4.152635490642E+02 -4.494745914095 44.8
4.150263689969E+02 -4.475489942293 44.8
4.147892274691E+02 -4.455765001303 44.8
4.145521254190E+02 -4.435571073514 44.8

(3) Import the .ibl file via Model -> Get Data -> Import and changing the Type field to "Ibl file (*.ibl)

It's not elegant, but it'll get the job done.

Hi,

1.]

In Creo create datum point feature using Offset Coordinate System option and Save datum point list into pts file. You will get something like this ...

!
!       DATUM POINT ARRAY DATA FILE
!
! Comment lines should begin with an exclamation mark (!).
! You may have as many comment lines as you wish.
! There must be at least one space between values.
!
! Enter values with respect to datum arrays' coordinate system:
!
!CARTESIAN coordinates:
!        X                Y                Z
!
           0.00            0.00            0.00
           1.00            1.00            1.00

2.]

Create pts file using your x,y,z values and import it into datum point feature.

Martin Hanák
mhanak2
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

This is just a test of sending email notifications.

This is just a 2-nd test of sending email notifications.

Martin Hanák
brice-2
4-Participant

Hi Martin,

I have a design that is governed by 51 points.  The xyz data is all in a plane, 2-d data.  These 51 points can be used as a datum curve or a spline within a sketch.  I'm trying to pass point data between Mathcad and Creo parametric in order to manipulate the data in Mathcad and pass it back to Creo.  Is there a way to do this?

Bernie

@brice-2 wrote:

Hi Martin,

I have a design that is governed by 51 points.  The xyz data is all in a plane, 2-d data.  These 51 points can be used as a datum curve or a spline within a sketch.  I'm trying to pass point data between Mathcad and Creo parametric in order to manipulate the data in Mathcad and pass it back to Creo.  Is there a way to do this?

Bernie

Hi,

I am little bit confused with your question.

KenFarley suggested you to create ibl file and import it into Creo model.

Please read https://community.ptc.com/sejnu66972/attachments/sejnu66972/PTCMathcad/175875/1/IBL%20examples.pdf document.

I suggested you to create pts file and import it into datum point Offset Coordinate System feature

The resulting points can be used as a references for Sketch feature. You can use them to guide the spline curve.

I think Ken's solution is better, because it enables to update curve easily.

What exactly do you not understand?

Martin Hanák
mhanak2
5-Regular Member

This is just a 3-rd test of sending email notifications.

mhanak2
5-Regular Member

This is just a 4-th test of sending email notifications.

mhanak2
5-Regular Member

This is just a 5-th test of sending email notifications.

I think the trouble with what either of us were suggesting is that it is not an "automatic" transfer of data. If I were iterating on something, doing many changes and "see how that works" trials, it would get really repetitive going back and forth. Change curve, generate points, put into .ibl file, read into Creo, check it, change curve again, etc.

The only other suggestion I might have is if the equations being used in MathCad are not very complicated, and if the number of points being used is always going to be the same, maybe calculate the points in Creo using relations? It would be  a bit of work and a lot of typing to set up, but you'd then be able to change a value, see the results, etc.

Top Tags