cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

ModelCHECK Handbook

CADQueen
5-Regular Member

ModelCHECK Handbook

I'm excited to announce the publication of my book to help explain the many confusing files that are ModelCHECK! Of course most of the members of this group may be beyond needing an introduction to ModelCHECK but if you know someone who does need help...

Re-Use Your CAD: The ModelCHECK Handbook was published in conjunction with Action Engineering and is available for purchase at Createspace and Amazon. You can also browse through a copy at LiveWorx 2016 in Boston. Look for it and me at the Software Factory booth in the Expo Hall.

13 REPLIES 13

I have avoided implementing ModelCHECK in any meaningful way, because of the complexity and confusion of getting it configured. I will definitely check this out in Boston.

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:mdebower)

I look forward to meeting you!

Likewise!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:CADQueen)

Had the company order a copy from Amazon this morning.

I have set up ModelCheck at a prior company and it is a chore to get the settings where you want them. We do use it here, but the prior admin set it up and I haven't really played with it much in 6 years.

I look forward to finding some of the tricks to ModelCheck to make it help us do a better job of modeling our products.

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

I look forward to any feedback you might have for the 2nd Edition when the time comes. Please say hi at the Software Factory booth if you will be at LiveWorx.

jborg-2
4-Participant
(To:CADQueen)

Rosemary

I am going through this book and although I am still on pg. 40 I already have a fair understanding about ModelCheck.

I have to implement this at my company. As you mentioned in the book there are a LOT of files, but now it is starting to make some sense at last.

Thanks

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:jborg-2)

Thanks Joseph. That was my purpose in writing the book!  Its not simple to understand given the current documentation - and even after spending 1 year writing the book I still learn things everytime someone asks me a question!

Rosemary,

Any plans to publish an updated version of your Modelcheck Handbook?  I would definitely recommend it for purchase to my boss and my colleagues.

Barry

@CADQueen

This might be especially helpful for the new refreshed interface supposedly coming to Creo 6.  Any word on an updated version of the book?

@CADQueen, Are you working on a 3rd edition? Will you be at the PTC User conference in FL next week?

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

I just want to let everyone know that I purchased her book on Amazon and I received the 4th edition, even though the amazon page still calls out the 2nd edition.  It even accounts for new functionality like multi-body options for ModelCheck.

As for a review of the book it has a lot of good info in the book and I recommend it...esp. as it seems to be the only book of its kind out there.  It is not 100% comprehensive, yet it offers a lot of incites and options.  It seems most heavily focused on how to get started with MC, organizing the files, with lots of extra tips.

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:LawrenceS)

I'm not sure why it is being called the 4th edition. Probably because we made some very minor edits (spelling mistakes, etc) and have uploaded 4 version at this point.

My goal was to supplement the documentation that PTC provides. I always found it confusing and very out of date so this is my own explanation.

As for a new version... this isn't a NY Times bestseller (and never intended it to be) and is something I did on the side, so it's on my list of things that would be nice to do. Maybe I can find someone to co-author the next version? They could contribute what they've learned along the way implementing MC in the real world? 

• Speaking of out of date, it is amusing to me because I got passed on the ModelCheck training manuals that were used to set up our company many years ago.  They were published by Rand and it largely looks the same as the PTC documentation.  So it seems to me that PTC just refined those training manuals to be in either PDF or PTC help documentation.  But it explains why it is out of date and perhaps lacking if it was supposed to be done with a class.
  • If this book is published by/with Action Engineering, you may want to make sure it is easy to find on their website too.  I see the one below but not yours.

Top Tags