cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mold cavity from facet feature, point cloud?

ptc-5165436
1-Newbie

Mold cavity from facet feature, point cloud?

I'd really appreciate some insight into this problem.

I'm trying to model a mold cavity for a kidney that I segmented. I can import the kidney into Creo either as an STL or a point cloud (.pts). I attached both. I tried saving the STL as a .prt file and bringing it into the mold cavity creator, but that didn't work, which was not entirely surprising. I've looked into ways to clean up the STL/solidify it/solidify the point cloud, but I haven't been able to get anything to work. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After a little more digging and a helpful tip from a lab mate, here's how I got it to work:

1) Use Meshlab (a free mesh editing program) to simplify, smooth, and clean up the STL. Resave.

2) Import the STL into an empty part file in Creo. Save as a shrinkwrap. This creates a solid part defined by the boundary of the mesh.

3) Create mold like usual.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

After a little more digging and a helpful tip from a lab mate, here's how I got it to work:

1) Use Meshlab (a free mesh editing program) to simplify, smooth, and clean up the STL. Resave.

2) Import the STL into an empty part file in Creo. Save as a shrinkwrap. This creates a solid part defined by the boundary of the mesh.

3) Create mold like usual.

I suspected this to be the case. I tried Cadkey to make a solid, but it did not import as a usable model. Creo has very little control over facet models. The shrinkwrap model is probably the best solution available.

Top Tags