cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Moving Creo Cache to OneDrive?

byork
17-Peridot

Moving Creo Cache to OneDrive?

Has anyone explored moving creo's cache to onedrive? I have tried it and it seems to work, but I am curious if anyone else has done that yet? 

Thanks in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:byork)

Haven't done it but I question why would you want to?

Cache is a lot like trail files, it needs to be local for fastest access.

Give some valid reasons as to why you want to do this?

The files are really not usable for recovery without special tools.

In a WIndchill environment, set your save option to do an upload and your files are available to any computer in your network.

byork
17-Peridot
(To:BenLoosli)

I probably don't have really good reasons but here are some. 

It would be nice to have a snapshot of the cache in the event the user removes everything from their workspace and regrets that action.   It could be recovered from OneDrive. 

It would also be nice to have a backup if a machine dies.

When we lifecycle a machine their cache would travel with them to their new machine. (Not sure if that is a good thing...)

I like the save and upload but there is a time cost associated with that in creo.  

As a side note, we have used the workspace recovery tool in the past. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:byork)

The snapshot recovery from OneDrive will be useless as the entry for those files in Windhill will be lost with the remove for their workspace.

The backup for a dead machine may work, but only if the user or anyone else does nothing with any of those files while the machine is being replaced/rebuilt.

I doubt moving the cache to a new machine will be of any benefit. Windchill will not know how to connect the files in cache with the files that will be now downloaded to the user's new workspace.

We find that unless you have very large assembly files, over a few thousand unique components, the save and upload does not significantly impact the save time. It has saved us a few times when a workstation has crashed and we need to move a user to another computer. I would say this is more reliable than depending on OneDrive cache for the recovery.

I seem to be lucky in that using Windchill for over 15 years and with hundreds of users, I have never had a corrupt workspace where I have even needed to download the recovery tool. (knock on wood)

Top Tags