cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Multi sheet drawings

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Multi sheet drawings

Hi all, when you create a new sheet in a multi-sheet drawing, the newly created sheet comes in the same size with the same drawing format as sheet 1, what if you require a smaller or larger sheet than sheet 1. At the moment, i have to edit the sheet setup, change the paper size, select new format, delete old tables. Is there a config option or some other way of altering this behaviour, so you can choose the required paper size & drawing format.

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15

John,

I can’t see any settings that would control this. I would suggest the best way to do what you are wanting would be with a mapkey to insert a new sheet and open the sheet setup dialogue. Better yet, you could create a series of mapkeys, each one inserting a sheet of different size/format.

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:dcox-2)

Thanks for the reply David. Creating a mapkey had crossed my mind too, but this is not an issue that crops up too often for me, usually my sheet sizes are the same. I don't know if it would be worth the effort for something I might use once a blue moon, I'd probably forget the key (sequence) that runs the mapkey if I were not using it regularly.

John

Haha, I'm with you there, more than once I've gone to create a mapkey, only to realise I'd previously created it and forgotten about it...

With any luck someone will know of a config option to do what you want, but as I say, I don't know of any.

Dave

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:John.Pryal)

ASME Y14.1-2012 says "All sheets of a multiple-sheet drawing should be the same size."

If it is something that you do enough of to justify the time, create a new format with the sheet 2 of the other size. Create them to cover all bases.

Other than that, there is no config option to do what you want, so that leaves a mapkey to do the sheet changes.

Rules are made to be broken, hee hee.

ISO doesn't seem to care about sheet size differences within the same drawing, but the issue is still valid under ASME when your continuation sheet formats remove all the redundant fields. As far back as I remember, I used simplified formats for continuation sheets that only had the drawing size, drawing number, and rev in the titleblock. Everything else was covered on sht1, including the revision block.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I stumbled across this when looking at how to handle continuation sheets. It's from "What's New in SolidWorks 2014". Looks like SolidWorks recently added this exact functionality. Maybe someone should create a product idea so Creo can "catch up".

15.PNG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We can change the the sheet format on added sheets to another format or size. I think solidworks is just now catching up.

John was asking how to make it automagically ask what format to use when he adds another sheet rather than defaulting to using the current format/size on the next sheet.

According to the image... this is a new default setting capability in SW.

And yes, it is something that's been missing in Pro|E for a long time.

Changing formats every time for a multi-sheet drawing is a routine that gets old very quickly.

One of the problems of course is if you start switching sheets around

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

Just to be clear, as far as I can tell Creo does not use the "current format/size on the next sheet" but rather always uses the format/size of sheet 1 for all new sheets. This is the rub.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

When I create a drawing and I tell it to use my format (or my template), it automatically starts with sheet one of my format. Then when I create subsequent sheets, it automagically gives me sheet 2 format for all additional sheets. We have a simplified format for all sheets past #1 and I don't have to manage it, it just happens.

Now that's intereresting, Stephen.

I wonder what's doing that for you.

If you open your sheet 1 format file, does it have multiple sheets defined?

Edit: that seems to do the trick. A second sheet in the format will automatically use that sheet for continuation sheets.

Doesn't solve the problem for different sizes, though. But nice to know! Now I have to redefine a lot of formats

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess my original question has been asnwered, this behaviour cannot be altered (at this time).

Regards

John

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Correct as you have already discovered. Your format can have more than one sheet.

Top Tags