cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Network Install vs Local Install

hubbardm
1-Newbie

Network Install vs Local Install

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:hubbardm)

Obviously it’s going to depend on your server, network, and local computers. In our environment, with 1 GB network, a pretty decent server, and overclocked PCs with solid state drives, running from the network typically adds about 10 seconds to the startup time.

Creo Startup Time (time from launch until the Windchill login dialog appears)
Local: 5 seconds
Network: 12-15 seconds

Running from the network basically means copying the xtop.exe file across the network and loading it into memory. As of Creo 3 M030, this is 241 MB in size.

Once Creo is loaded and running, I have been unable to distinguish any real performance impact from running across the network. Here are some older results from my testing with the OCUS benchmark. (These are not exactly “apples to apples” because several things are changing at the same time, but it does show the relative similarity.)

[cid:image001.png@01D05D73.D875DED0]

Tom U.

At one stage we experienced significant delay on a network install when accessing a menu or dialogue box for the first time – often several seconds before it would appear. Subsequent accesses during that session would be instantaneous.

We’re now back on a network install, and I must say I haven’t noticed it recently – whether that’s down to faster network, or changes to the core software, I couldn’t say.

Jonathan
Top Tags