cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

New FlexLM License, but Simulate does not show up

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

New FlexLM License, but Simulate does not show up

I just updated our FlexLM license manager to 11.14, so we'd be able to do some testing with Creo 4.0. As part of this operation, I had a new license file generated. The server works fine for the "normal" stuff (Creo Essentials, NC-Complete, etc.), but yet again, I can't seem to get the Simulate license to function properly. The pertinent licenses are being "served", but on the user end the program does not see the licenses.

When I run "ptcstatus" from the command line, I get the two lines of interest:

MECBASICENG_License
MECBASICUI_License

In the past (2014, last time I did this) I corrected this by using the above information in the file:

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M240\mech\text\licensing\mech\feature.dat

I needed to alter the entries that initially said "<No license features>" to point to the actual license, reconfigure my installation, and the program would "see" the licenses. None of these techniques seem to work this time.

Has anyone got anything I can try to make these licenses accessible?  I've tried assigning the above license strings to "MEC_BASIC"UI" and "MEC_BASIC_ENG", but that didn't work. Do I perhaps have to reinstall Creo completely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I did some detective work and experimenting and seem to have gotten this to work, but the floating license grabbing seems to be different from what I was used to.

First, I had to add the appropriate lines to the "feature.dat" file, as follows:

MEC_BASIC_UI "MECBASICUI_License"
MEC_BASIC_ENG "MECBASICENG_License"

Then, I had to use the "reconfigure" program in the "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin" directory. This apparently reads the modified feature.dat file and acts upon it.

Now, when I am in Creo, with an assembly open, I can access the simulate program via the Applications tab.

Previously, to use one of the floating modules, like Simulate, I'd have to "take" the license manually, but going into "File->Options->Licensing", refreshing the license list, and picking the module I wanted. Apparently, now the program pulls a floating license as required if any are available. If I try to get a license the old way, it just says "no floating options currently available", which is incorrect. Hopefully this is not an indication of something being wrong.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I did some detective work and experimenting and seem to have gotten this to work, but the floating license grabbing seems to be different from what I was used to.

First, I had to add the appropriate lines to the "feature.dat" file, as follows:

MEC_BASIC_UI "MECBASICUI_License"
MEC_BASIC_ENG "MECBASICENG_License"

Then, I had to use the "reconfigure" program in the "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin" directory. This apparently reads the modified feature.dat file and acts upon it.

Now, when I am in Creo, with an assembly open, I can access the simulate program via the Applications tab.

Previously, to use one of the floating modules, like Simulate, I'd have to "take" the license manually, but going into "File->Options->Licensing", refreshing the license list, and picking the module I wanted. Apparently, now the program pulls a floating license as required if any are available. If I try to get a license the old way, it just says "no floating options currently available", which is incorrect. Hopefully this is not an indication of something being wrong.

Top Tags