cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Out of Range Issue

ptc-2090400
1-Newbie

Out of Range Issue

I am having an issue with extruded wall thicknesses having a lower limit. I am simply trying to extrude a section and give it a wall thickness, using the command within the extrude feature rather than the sketch. On occasion, not always, this gives me an error saying that the size I type in is out of range, for example on the attached screen shot I was trying to give a 50x30mm piece of section a 3mm wall, the note popped up saying the minimum thickness is 3.07mm. I have spoken to my VAR and they have been no help, I even sent them a sample and a copy of my Config.pro and they can't replicate the problem. The funny thing is that if you then edit the thickness by double clicking within the graphics window the thickness can be what is required.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Tim,

judging by the example shown, i'd say it could be an accuracy problem, try making the accuracy of your part a little tighter.

Regards

John

John/Sushanta

Thanks for the replys, unfortunately the accuracy was the first thing I changed when this first cropped up, changing it has no effect, it also doesn't explain why I can make the change in the graphics window.

thanks for the help

regards

Hello Tim Wood,

I know the best answer to this problem.

Go to Set up > Accuracy and change the part accuracy to 0.001.

Then try adding the thickness. It will surely work.

Let me know if this issue is resolved.

sDas

@SushantaDas wrote:

Hello Tim Wood,

I know the best answer to this problem.

Go to Set up > Accuracy and change the part accuracy to 0.001.

Then try adding the thickness. It will surely work.

Let me know if this issue is resolved.

sDas

Hi there, 

Where can I find the setup? Is that same as configuration in de dropdown window of File?

If your problem is not solved can u please attach the part for further investivation.

sDas

For parts like this that have a large difference between the largest face and the smallest face, you need to enable "absolute" accuracy instead of the default "relative" accuracy. Set "enable_absolute_accuracy" to "yes". Then, change it to maybe .0001. That should solve the issue.

Relative accuracy is just that, the size of the largest face relative to the smallest. This default setting results in smaller files, but you run into these problems. I use absolute almost exclusively. And, the best thing is, if you know you'll be doing really complicated geometry or long thin geometry, set the absolute accuracy BEFORE creating any model geometry as this can actuall cause previous features to fail.

Good luck!

Top Tags