Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO E CRASHES IN SKETCH MODE WHEN EIDTING DIMENSIONS

Not applicable

PRO E CRASHES IN SKETCH MODE WHEN EIDTING DIMENSIONS

I BEEN HAVEING PROBLEMS WITH THE SKETCHER AND WHEN I EIDT DIMENSIONS HALF OF THE TIME PRO E CRASHES. ANY ONE KNOW WHATS UP WITH THAT. THANKS
12 REPLIES 12

RE: PRO E CRASHES IN SKETCH MODE WHEN EIDTING DIMENSIONS

you should give some more information - Pro/E version like WF3 M090 - graphic card - driver version - content of std.out - content of std.err

and operating system

I am getting a similar problem sometimes running Wildfire 3. My PC is: - Pro/E Version Wildfire 3 M060 (educational version) - Windows XP Profesional - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz - Nvidia 8600 GT (with the latest drivers) - 4GB DDR2 RAM Any ideas would be good, or any info on whether there is an update patch required.[/list]

Hey there, so, more pro/e crashes, despite of the: "Pro/ENGINEER is the most robust..." that appears in the main page of the forum... Anyway, you can check in the task manager if the xtop.exe process (which is pro/e) reaches a high peak of memory by the time it crases, try keeping an eye on it while you work. It usually crashes when it get to 1.5Gb, yet, I've had plenty of crashes too and sometimes it doesn't reach that value. Your computer looks very powerfull, thought the Nvidia 8600 could be an issue, as I believe ptc certifes only the quadro family (guessing, not sure) In your case the educational version might be a trick? Dustin, are you runnig an educational license too?. I have a full license and that kind of crash happens not too often, but I do have them in many other random activities. Are you using other tipe of font, other than "font" defalt of pro/e. I use arial, though it slows performance a bit. Virtual memory, set double of phisical ram The tipical argument of pro/e: what mouse are you using, laser? optical? wirelles? a Space Pilot? Tellequinesis??, they really insist whith that one a LOT!. Thats what I think of for the moment. Don't hesitate to put a call on ptc support to report this issue. Please as more people, the best.

Check your display mode. PTC product run on open GL. If Your display card is set to Direct X, Change it to Open GL. It go the same problem with WF3 ed. Change display mode to Open GL will minimize that problem

I have had this problem many times in the past. All of the statements above hold merit as to why your machine may crash. I have contacted PTC on this problem as well. From my findings, what it boils down to is that there is a instability flaw in the software. Even though all of my hardware was certified, PTC couldn't help rectify the problem. So, trying to fix the problem, I approached my manager and convinced him to upgrade my hardware, to my discression (not just because of this problem, I had extremely large and complex assemblies that were taking too long to manipulate). $1500 later my machine was working 10x better (maxed out the RAM, installed a new video card, etc...). Well even though the machine was working better, I still crashed it when I tried to edit dimensions within the sketcher mode. It didn't always happen, but it was an annoyance none-the-less. Repeating your work over and over is just plain frustrating. So, my only work around to where I have had zero crashes is to use the MODIFY button on the side bar. It takes extra steps, but I noticed that Wildfire is stable as long as you always use this button. As tempting as it is, you just have to resist clicking on the dimension to change it. Hope this helps.

Adam, your upgrade came cheap comparing to what we paid in my company, we bought two brans new workstation, 6000$ each, and the chrases is completely random, really anoyning. Many people suggests saving a lot to prevent lossing my work, but sometimes it crashes while saving... It is not fair that as a user and customer we have to abide with this sort of "solutions", which to my point of view are like blocking the sun with you thumb. Why can't PTC fix this bugs???, I mean it's obvius that there are plenty of user around the world having them, it shoul be taken under serious consideration. My professional opinion is that the excellent features of pro/e should be excuse to permit such errors and ask user to tollerate them.

crash within sketch modus cuased by optical mouse driver

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, We faced a similar problem, which was caused by the logitech optical mouse driver. But this this problem happend two years ago. Since then the switch off the pointer shadow (Window setting option for mouse pointer) and we are using the standard windows mouse driver for the logitech optical mouse.

RE: crash within sketch modus cuased by optical mouse driver

Similar problem here with Intellipoint Mouse drivers for Microsoft mouse. Ended up buying a Kensington optical mouse, and using default windows drivers. I still get random crashes but a lot less often, and usually when I get myself into a tight spot and am tring to correct a mistake. Pro Piping can be very unforgiving.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite