cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PTC is STOPPING support for USB adapter licensing

Domen
14-Alexandrite

PTC is STOPPING support for USB adapter licensing

Hi.

I just got news from PTC, that they are STOPPING support for USB adapter (dongle) licensing from versions Creo 7.0.6.0 and Creo 8.0.0.0 forward. This is true for floating and also locked licenses.

Links on PTC eSupport: 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS349044

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS348204

I think that this is totally unacceptable. PTC commnuity should know about this and I hope that PTC will hear how many customers this affects.

Also what bothers me is, that I had to open support case to learn about this.This should be written on the first page of eSupport.

Or at least this should be the first thing that Jim Heppelmann tells us in his Liveworx 2021 presentation ("Digital Pyshical transformation... And by the way, we are canceling support for USB dongles").😀

Kind regards,

Domen

18 REPLIES 18
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Domen)

Nothing new here. It has been talked about for at least a year.

What it prevents is users moving the dongle to multiple computers to work.

I use network licenses so it doesn't have an effect on my company or how we use our licensed PTC products.

I also work in a larger company where concurrent licenses are used and so this is not a big issue for me.
Nevertheless, I know a few independent one-man businesses where USB dongles are used.
These people usually work in their office on a high-performance workstation, but also have a less powerful notebook because they occasionally need to work on the road and visit their customers.
Due to the size of these small companies, they do not have the server infrastructure to run a license server, or sometimes the know-how to set one up.
For them, the removal of USB dongle support will be a bit of a pain.

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Definitely!

The price of a floating license vs floating is nearly 3 times!!! For this case in particular how small companies will work? Take the workstation and go to costumers with all hardware? Just work with laptops. Simply impressive!!!! I really deslike this option from PTC

This is extremely bad move from PTC. They just don't care for small companies. It will effect a lot of our customers.

What to tell them? Something like "Sorry, PTC doesn't give a sh*t about you, switch to Solidworks!".

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:TomazJeras)

If they took that decision, they should at least reduce the price of licensing! It reduces the mobility, so it's more limited!!!!!!!!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I don't think Solidworks supports USB dongles for licenses, either.

We loaded all laptops with single licenses so they were not pulling from the concurrent pool of the in-office workers.

You still have the option of installing them as single user licenses or borrowing a concurrent license for a period of time.

Thanks all for reply. But, it is not the point to find workaround.

The point is, why this is happening at all? There is no technical reason for that, it's pure arrogance and greed. PTC's explanation about security reasons is just BS.

CAD market is crowded, differences between software are small. We have to fight for every customer and PTC is not helping at all. Little things like this one can make them switch. For small companies, is it not a big deal to ditch Creo for Solidworks or Inventor. It is happening all the time.

PTC wont make more money with this, but it will make angry a lot of customers. There was no need for this.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I checked with some other CAD admins. SolidWorks and CATIA do not use dongles for their licenses. NX still does.

If you think the price of a Creo license is high, then don't even think about NX!

I spent almost 20 years using UGII and NX before being moved to Pro/E 20 years ago. For about 10 years I supported both.

Below.

kerzen
5-Regular Member

Again? Same time last year we had same issue. PTC didn't you learn anything from past ? For me as a freelancer this is not acceptable. Same reasons like last year.

Feels like small companies or like me one man bands are treated as dirt (I believe we are equally worth as big companies)

PTC PLEASE STOP FULLING AROUND.

Best Regards

Klemen

TomU
23-Emerald IV

In all fairness, 'node-locked licenses' are supposed to be just that, 'node-locked'.  They are intended for use on a single computer.  If would seem that by using a removable network adapter (usb based or otherwise) people have been able to get around this limitation and effectively 'float' these node-locked licenses to other computers.  Obviously this is contrary to the intent of the node-locked license, so it seems perfectly reasonable that PTC would want to crack down on this license misuse going forward.

TomazJeras
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Sorry TomU, but I don't agree. You are technically correct, but in reality this is just not feasible. Maybe, it would work for two motivated users, but it will soon be a nightmare for three or more. The majority of USB adapters users are one man band or maybe two, who switch license between workstation and laptop.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

It is the abuse of the 'node-locked' license that has led PTC to stop support for the USB dongle as the license file repository. If you have a new bundle, they come with a home-use license that can be installed on your laptop while leaving the main license on your workstation. I realize that this is only with a subscription, so you may need to upgrade your licenses.

#PROE_DesignEssH 2 Creo Design Essentials Home Use Creo 7.0 Lic
#PROE_DesignAdv   3 Creo Design Advanced Creo         7.0            Flt Lic
#PROE_DesignAdvP 1 Creo Design Advanced Plus Creo 7.0            Flt Lic

kerzen
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

BenLosli,

I do not see how this is abuse. Function of license is to prevent simultaneously being used on more machines and USB dongle provide this, and it is fast and simple to use.

Imagine being (one man band) freelancer having your own workstation, laptop and also having Computer provided by large company that you are working for. Agreement with company is to bring your own CAD software. Computer is provided for security reason as they want to keep only copy of work. With that computer security is set in a way that i can not see my home or my office network only company's network so I don't see how I can have license on a server. Sometimes switching between computers needs to happen several times per day as you do not work only on one project or another client call you for quick modification or so. This ability to have USB license dongle is very critical for me !Home license is not an option as offers only basic functionality, I need my full license all the time!

Hop you can understand my point now.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:kerzen)

@kerzen wrote:

"I do not see how this is abuse. Function of license is to prevent simultaneously being used on more machines..."

No, that is not correct.  Function of 'node-locked' license is to only allow use on one single computer (ever).  Function of 'floating' license is to allow use any any computer, but only one at a time.  Neither license will allow simultaneous use on more than one machine.  

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Is it possible to borrow a nodelock license?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:T_F)

No.  Borrowing is a function of a license server.  Node locked just use a static text file.

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I can understand your point of view of being node locked. but How can I visit my costumers once on while with my laptop, if I have my node locked license attached to my workstation?

Top Tags