cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

PTC stopped supporting USB adapters/network cards for Creo licenses

Cre0User
4-Participant

PTC stopped supporting USB adapters/network cards for Creo licenses

Hello dear Creo/ProE users,

We just wanted to install newest edition of Creo 7, that is Creo 7.0.1.0 but no succes.

PTC seems that has decided to (add/delete few lines of code) eliminate usage of USB network cards with no annoucement or anything simmilar.

In newer computers is only wireless card and if it doesnt work, Creo 7.0.1.0 and newer cannot be used!

Does anyone has any tought on this or possible solution?

Best Regards,

CreoUser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nvelpanur
14-Alexandrite
(To:Cre0User)

Hi CreOUser,

Thanks for bringing this up. PTC is aware of the change and it will be fixed in 7.0.2.0. This was the result of a licensing change due to how Windows 10 queries MAC addresses from physical and virtual adapters. For node-locked licenses, unfortunately there is no workaround for 7.0.1.0 other than using a PCI based adapter. This change does not affect floating licenses, however.

Best,

Nihal Velpanur

Creo Product Management

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

@Cre0User wrote:

Hello dear Creo/ProE users,

We just wanted to install newest edition of Creo 7, that is Creo 7.0.1.0 but no succes.

PTC seems that has decided to (add/delete few lines of code) eliminate usage of USB network cards with no annoucement or anything simmilar.

In newer computers is only wireless card and if it doesnt work, Creo 7.0.1.0 and newer cannot be used!

Does anyone has any tought on this or possible solution?

Best Regards,

CreoUser

Hi,

try following:

• install Creo 7.0.1.0 and Skip Licensing during installation
  • modify parametric.psf manually in Notepad (enter the right information into ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE row and ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME row)

Martin Hanák
Cre0User
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin,

Thank you for suggestion.

Tried it already, it doesn't work.

I think in Creo 7.0.1.0 there is new "functionality" that doesn't want to read HOST ID from USB network adapter. 

BR,

Creo User

@Cre0User wrote:

Hi Martin,

Thank you for suggestion.

Tried it already, it doesn't work.

I think in Creo 7.0.1.0 there is new "functionality" that doesn't want to read HOST ID from USB network adapter. 

BR,

Creo User

Hi,

unfortunately I cannot test your problem on my PC.

My suggestion (if Creo license do not have to be assigned to USB network card):

1.] Move Creo license to WiFi network card HOST-ID.

2.] In Windows open Command prompt as Administrator and run two following commands

netsh interface ipv4 set global dhcpmediasense=disabled

netsh interface ipv6 set global dhcpmediasense=disabled

3.] In WiFi network card properties turn Power saving off (when WiFi network card is not connected to network)

Question: Does Creo 6.0 or older work with new license file ?

Martin Hanák
Cre0User
4-Participant

Hi Martin,

1. Wi-Fi card doesnt work. There is no Ethernet card.

2. No changes. Still doesnt read HOSTID from USB Network Card (Error -9 Invalid Host)

3. This was already set.

BR,

CreoUser

My colleague is using WiFi USB network card and runs Creo 7.0 without any problems, so it doesn't have to be PTC's doing that prevents you from running Creo 7.0.
What kind of license are you using for this USB card, locked or floating? And what errors do you get when you try to start Creo 7.0?
Cre0User
4-Participant
(To:LukaszMazur)

Hello Lukasz,

It is locked license.

It works in Creo 7.0.0.0 but not in 7.0.1.0.

Error is (-9) invalid host.

BR,

CreoUser

@Cre0User wrote:

Hello Lukasz,

It is locked license.

It works in Creo 7.0.0.0 but not in 7.0.1.0.

Error is (-9) invalid host.

BR,

CreoUser

Hi,

invalid host error message probably tells you that HOST-ID included in license file is not available in ipconfig output.

Open Command prompt window and run:

getmac command

ipconfig /all command

Check whether HOST-ID included in license file is present in command output.

Note: Windows 10 can randomize your adapter's MAC address ... see https://winaero.com/blog/enable-random-mac-address-in-windows-10-for-wi-fi-adapter/ 

Martin Hanák
Cre0User
4-Participant

Hi Martin,

Creo 7.0.0.0 and older works. Creo 7.0.1.0. doesnt work.

so HOSTID is there and correct, all is working except the newest wersion of Creo 7.

BR,

CreoUser

@Cre0User wrote:

Hi Martin,

Creo 7.0.0.0 and older works. Creo 7.0.1.0. doesnt work.

so HOSTID is there and correct, all is working except the newest wersion of Creo 7.

BR,

CreoUser

Hi,

if you want to continue our conversation, please do following:

1.] publish HOST-ID included in your license file

2.] run getmac command and publish its output

3.] run ipconfig /all command and publish its output

I hope you understand that I need detailed information to continue.

Martin Hanák
Cre0User
4-Participant

Hi to all,

So we tried everything and it is what we tought at the beginning, you can see CS26634:

License file is generated on USB or Dock station network card

• Open command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"
  • Confirm with user whether the Ethernet adapter network card is not USB type
    • If yes, transfer license file on generic network card adapter (Ethernet/Wireless)
    • Reconfigure license server with new license file

Mac adress is only one so it is correct one, power options disabled, previos versions of creo works, ONLY when Creo installer od Creo 7.0.1.0 is run it shows HostId 00-00-00-00-00-00.

SO PTC DECIDED OVERNIGHT TO REMOVE FUNCTIONALITY OF USING USB ADAPTERS.

Any workaround, tip, comment..etc? (Except buying new laptop which is madness).

BR,

CreoUser

Have you noticed that the KB article you mentioned is almost two years old (it was last modified 18th September 2018)? So it's hardly "overnight" removal 😉
At the moment I'm more inclined to see it as some kind of bug unless someone from PTC Tech Support will confirm it really was intentional.
Also, after reading rest of your post I got curious: you really use laptop without any built-it network adapters so the USB WiFi card is the only adapter you have?
It may be also trivial question, but is this USB network card connected to any network or is it simply attached to your computer? I think I saw some cases in the past when simple plugging the adapter wasn't enough and it had to be connected to any WiFi network for Flexnet to "see" it in the system and start serving the license. Maybe you got a similar case.

Cre0User
4-Participant

Hi Lukasz.

It is overnight.

There is no statemet that it doesnt work on USB adapter and it worked for quite few years now.

You have to put effort to disable this functionality. 

You didnt read it carefully 😉 check newer laptops, not old ones. Somen newer laptops only have wifi and no LAN. But this is offtopic.

Wifi connection has no impact on MAC adress of dongle (if it is not under power saver management). 

Creo 7.0.0.0 works if wifi is connected or not. Creo 7.0.1.0 doesnt work in any situation and I am afraid that it wont work also in future releases 😮

At the end, I am searching solutions for keep using USB dongle and Creo on current laptop with not working wifi card.

BR,

CreoUser

No, it doesn't help.

I disabled integrated Wifi adapter and made working connection over USB adapter, but nothing changed.

PTCHOSTID reported MAC as 00-00-00-00-00-00. Same with Creo Install.

I hate contacting ptc support, but in this case I do not see other options.

@Cre0User 

I meant that last time KB article has been modified (edited) was two years ago and it hasn't been changed since, so the info about transferring license from USB dongle to built-it adapter seems also from that time. But that's irrelevant to your situation anyway, so there's no point in continuing it 😉

Like I said, I also hope it's some kind of bug and at the moment I don't consider it to be done on purpose - I think with code so complicated it doesn't have to be intentional change, it may result from changes somewhere else that in some strange way affected this functionality. To go off topic: yesterday I was eyewitness of some (I think) bug that having one expired license in Creo configuration (for additional module) has made Creo completely "forget" registered Windchill server settings between sessions. After updating the license everything went back to normal and those two aspects also aren't related from the user's point of view 😉

@jtezak 

I understand and I hope you'll be able to go through with tech support without being redirected to article @Cre0User has mentioned and being told to transfer the license from USB dongle 😉

jtezak
3-Visitor

Hi,

Creouser is right. PTC changed something between 7.0.0. and 7.0.1.

I just tried to upgrade my Creo 7.0.0. installation to 7.0.1. and suddenly my USB network card is not recognized any more. Creo install program says that my license is invalid and install program does not show correct MAC address. I skipped licensing and install license later in PSF, but Creo does not start, because my license is invalid. PTCHOSTID does not show USB adapter at all. 

I implemented registry hack before, so my USB network adapter had number 1 and Wifi adapter 2 in registry, so USB adapter had priority over Wifi adapter. 

I reverted back to 7.0.0. and everything is working again.

I have locked licence and I use USB network adapter to transfer license between laptop and workstation. This functionality is essential for me.

Everything worked fine up to Creo 7.0.0. And suddenly 7.0.1. breaks everything.

Thank you, PTC. You are working hard to push me away as a customer. If this is not a bug, I will finally give up and start using Solid Works, as most of my colleagues do.

Cre0User
4-Participant
(To:jtezak)

Hello,

I guess I am not the only one who figured this out.

I am sorry to hear that, not to be misunderstood.

And I really hope this is bug and not a feature.

In meanwhile we hope there is solution for keep on using USB Adapters for Creo 7 🤐

BR,

CreoUser

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Support for USB adapters WAS intentionally removed in Creo 7.0.1.0.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS329290

TomU_0-1597858161032.png

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:TomU)

@TomU wrote:

Support for USB adapters WAS intentionally removed in Creo 7.0.1.0.

TomU_0-1597858161032.png

Hi,

does this mean that PTC also stopped supporting for floating licenses,? They do not mention floating licenses in CS329290 !

If the stopped support only for locked licenses then it does not make any sense (from my point of view).

Martin Hanák

I think it makes a lot of sense from PTC's point of view, though 😉
As we all know, locked license has been meant to be used on a specific computer, so you could use only on one workstation. Using USB stick we could work around that and move between computers, still using the same license. So, essentially, with a bit more hassle one could get similar behavior to floating license for a lower price.

So it wasn't necessary to do anything with floating licenses, just limit more locked ones.

Cre0User
4-Participant

Of course, $$$

But if you would be pissed because some clever manager remembered to remove functionality overnight with no further notice (essential functionality that worked and was or was not used to work in more computers) you might change installation or vendor to another one (there are many).

BR,

CreoUser

Cre0User
4-Participant

😩

If they intentionally removed support for USB adapters, I guess that means floating and locked.

If someone has floating licence, please test it.

I guess there will be no Creo 7 or further versions in use by many.

PTC keeps making loyal users "happy" following Autodesk strategy? 

BR 

CreoUser

If we're talking about removing USB cards support for floating licenses, that would mean PTC would need to alter Flexnet license manager to not accept MAC of USB card and then force the users to upgrade their Flexnet servers. It's not impossible, it was done in the past (recently with Creo 4.0 working only with Flexnet 11.x), but I think it's much more easier to work around than with locked licenses. Plus you don't switch license servers as often as you could switch seats with locked licenses, so there's probably no need for that.
But I was already wrong in this topic 😉
jtezak
3-Visitor

**bleep**, this is a real bummer. Why the f* did they do that? I really hoped it\s a bug.

Now what?

kerzen
5-Regular Member

Hi,

being freelancer, companies supply you with their laptop so you can access SharePoint sites and other important company data. In my case i have my own laptop and workstation and also one laptop supplied by company I work as freelancer where I bring my own CAD license with me . I need flexible licensing so I can switch from one machine to another in maters of seconds. It needs to be flexible enough that i can carry my license away from my workstation for longer than one month. ( when i travel business) and when traveling, there is no chance to use VPN. Can you explain how you envision licensing in my case. Currently I am very disappointed with way you ended this feature. No info in advanced. This feature was and still is critical to my business! Looking forward to positive feedback!

Best Regards Klemen - your long time client!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Looks like PTC is removing this restriction in the next Creo 7 release.  KB article was just updated today:

TomU_0-1598464286717.png

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You will just have to wait until November when Creo 7.0.2 is released.

nvelpanur
14-Alexandrite

Hi CreOUser,

Thanks for bringing this up. PTC is aware of the change and it will be fixed in 7.0.2.0. This was the result of a licensing change due to how Windows 10 queries MAC addresses from physical and virtual adapters. For node-locked licenses, unfortunately there is no workaround for 7.0.1.0 other than using a PCI based adapter. This change does not affect floating licenses, however.

Best,

Nihal Velpanur

Creo Product Management

Cre0User
4-Participant
(To:nvelpanur)

Thank you Nihal and everyone,

It is good to see that PTC will keep supporting USB adapters as to this day.

BR,

CreoUser

Top Tags