cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Parametric Student Edition freezes and then crashes on all Computers

_Markus_
5-Regular Member

Parametric Student Edition freezes and then crashes on all Computers

Hello Everybody,

is there currently a known major issue with Creo Parametric Student Edition 4.0 ?

The symptom ist, Creo starts but after the first click it freezes and after next click it crashes. (no matter where you click).

This happens currently on many private PC's of my students since Friday and since today even two of my PC's are effected.  I also have the educational version installed on one of my computers and this version runs fine.

Operating System Win10 20H2, all updates.

Tried new installation, cleared the cache, nothing helps...

I dont know how to run the next lecture with this problem.

Any advice?

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards

Markus

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

maybe @Alex_Cazacu can comment the problem.

Martin Hanák
_Markus_
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Hello,

thx for your reply.

Had my class yesterday afternoon and Creo worked fine on all PC's without changing anything.

Don't know what was the problem.

I hope it wont occur again.

Best regards

Markus

Hello,

If the problem persists, you my need to lower the graphics:

Right-click on the PTC Creo Parametric shortcut on the desktop and go to properties. Add space after the existing target path and then -g:win32_gdi. Click on apply and run the Creo.

Alex_Cazacu_0-1607512630155.png

Thanks,

Alex

MagicMike
4-Participant
(To:Alex_Cazacu)

Hello Alex, thanks for the reply.

This solved it for me and I searched a long time for a working solution.

Here at our office we have different hardware systems and we work with Creo Parametric 5.0.2.0 and 7.0.

After installing the Windows update 20H2 (01-13-2021) all of our systems had the issue of freezing after clicking almost any button. Even after clicking "Open file" it freezed (and now it's freezing outside as well 😉 ).

I find it very strange that we now have to use the switch " -g:win32_gdi".

Looks like the people @ptc  have some work todo for Windows 10 20H2.

@MagicMike wrote:

Hello Alex, thanks for the reply.

This solved it for me and I searched a long time for a working solution.

Here at our office we have different hardware systems and we work with Creo Parametric 5.0.2.0 and 7.0.

After installing the Windows update 20H2 (01-13-2021) all of our systems had the issue of freezing after clicking almost any button. Even after clicking "Open file" it freezed (and now it's freezing outside as well 😉 ).

I find it very strange that we now have to use the switch " -g:win32_gdi".

Looks like the people @ptc  have some work todo for Windows 10 20H2.

Hi,

I think the problem is related to Microsoft Windows. Therefore PTC cannot solve it.

If  switch " -g:win32_gdi" resolves the problem then you have to reinstall graphic card drivers. Probably 20H2 update replaced original drivers with bad ones.

Martin Hanák
MagicMike
4-Participant

Hi,

No, Just checked it ....Windows did not replace the video drivers.

It's a combination of both.

Looks like my system is too old and the drivers aren't being updated anymore by NVIDIA.

I just installed the latest drivers (from 2018), but also these won't solve the problem.

So I have to stick  with the switch "-g:win32_gdi" and wait for my new laptop which will be delivered soon.

@MagicMike wrote:

Hi,

No, Just checked it ....Windows did not replace the video drivers.

It's a combination of both.

Looks like my system is too old and the drivers aren't being updated anymore by NVIDIA.

I just installed the latest drivers (from 2018), but also these won't solve the problem.

So I have to stick  with the switch "-g:win32_gdi" and wait for my new laptop which will be delivered soon.

Hi,

so it looks like this is "old stuff problem" (my own term). Did you try to uninstall Windows update 20H2 ?

FYI: I use a notebook with Intel UHD Graphics 620, only and Windows 10 update 20H2 installed and Creo works well.

Martin Hanák
MagicMike
4-Participant

Hi,

I cannot uninstall the Windows update.

So... for the time being I can use Creo with the switch.. no biggie as they say 😉

MagicMike
4-Participant

Meanwhile I solved the problem over here.

The source of the problem was our cyber protection software Sentinel One.

Resolution:

Adding exclusions of the Creo installation paths in Sentinel One.

Hello,

I have the same issue and solution with the lower graphics seems to be good quick workaround, but what to do if I do not have installation on my hard drive and it is launched with network configuration?

Any idea?

Thx

Vaclav

@vaclavhanus wrote:

Hello,

I have the same issue and solution with the lower graphics seems to be good quick workaround, but what to do if I do not have installation on my hard drive and it is launched with network configuration?

Any idea?

Thx

Vaclav

Hi,

create new shortcut on your desktop.

Martin Hanák

That is not possible, Creo is being launched from another running program which serves for licensing control.. So in this case, I suppose, only way to solve this issue is uninstall the 20h2 update..

Thx,

Vaclav

Top Tags