cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Performance issues Creo 5.0.3.0

khimani_mohiki
14-Alexandrite

Performance issues Creo 5.0.3.0

We have just made the move from Creo 3.0 to Creo 5.0.3.0, we are using Dell 3620 workstations with NVIDIA  Quadro M4000 cards and 362.13 driver as per the spec sheet, we also have some 3630s with the NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 and 419.17 driver.

The users are experiencing lag on menus and general navigation, they are experiencing this mostly towards the afternoon. typically most users will have the whole motorcycle in session which can be around 4000 parts, they will tend to use Reps to only show the area of the bike they are working on. So I think its a memeory issue due to number of parts in session, but it could be somehting to do with Windchill, configurations, graphics card, the list goes on.

Any help much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5

One thing you did not mention is the amount of RAM the workstations have. With that assembly size, 32GB would be a minimum, 64GB would be better.

Why did you only upgrade to Creo 5, it is no longer supported, but neither is Creo 6.

What version of Windchill do you have? That should not have an impact on the Creo performance directly unless your issues are with saving and opening files through Windchill.

Do your users reboot their workstations daily?

Do your users close Creo completely daily?

Do your users have multiple workspaces that have been around for weeks or months?

Hi Ben, thanks for getting back to me, in answer to your questions:

We have 32Gb of Ram

Why did you only upgrade to Creo 5, it is no longer supported, but neither is Creo 6.

We could have gone to 6, but that would have taken another 3 months to deploy etc and 6 is still out of date. We couldnt go back to 4 as we had already authored one projects worth of data. Our workstations arent compatible with 7 either.

What version of Windchill do you have? That should not have an impact on the Creo performance directly unless your issues are with saving and opening files through Windchill.

11.1 M020 CPS04

Do your users reboot their workstations daily?

Yes all PCs power off by script if not turned off manually

Do your users close Creo completely daily?

Yes, but not throughout the day

Do your users have multiple workspaces that have been around for weeks or months?

Definitly yes, usually multiple workspaces that are 6+ months old with thousands of parts in them

Have you looked at memory usage? How much of the 32GB is being consumed by Creo?

Do you have Creo loaded locally or off a network server?

The multiple old workspaces could be an issue. Every Windchill interaction needs to check all workspaces for item usage. Check in one detail part that is in 25 workspaces and the other 24 need to have that part marked as having been modified and checked in. Same with a checkout, all workspaces need to be updated with the fact that it is now checked out in someone's workspace. Multiple this with all of your workspaces for each user and you get a lot of network traffic doing these updates.

Keep workspaces small and fresh. With the upgrade to a new version of Creo, I would have had my users check everything in and delete their workspaces and create new ones for the new version of Creo. I do the same when we upgrade Windchill versions, including CPS updates.

Not sure about the memory usage, will check tomorrow. The issue is improved when reducing shade quality and edge quality back to the ootb settings, so we have a clue, just need to try with all users.

Our Creonis installed locally, all configs etc are all local deployed by group policy.

We are in a transition period where both Creo 3 and Creo 5 are available to the user for a couple of weeks to complete drawings in Creo 3 before having to convert legacy Annotations in Creo 5, at the end of this period I will take your suggestion of deleting workspaces as we have never encouraged this.

I know from personal experience that shade quality can have extreme effects on perfomance.

I have mine set to 3.

If you still have issues, test other graphics card drivers. There are many reasons that an updated graphics card driver can improve performance or fix "bugs".

Top Tags