Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perpetual Licenses No Longer Available After January 1, 2018

Re: Perpetual Licenses No Longer Available After January 1, 2018

I, as others am keen to help here but now I am disinclined to participate any more. To me it seems PTC have withdrawn their input (presumably made them all redundant) as I assume they see the users performing the support function themselves, at their own time and expense and in exchange for kudos points.

Users who advance therefore find themselves lonely and eventually the only purpose of maintenance is to get software updates. I think PTC use this forum and our accumulated knowledge to benefit their bottom line and fail to support more advanced users in return.

Although this may seem somewhat oblique to the original thread, it is not. It offers up something immediate.

One possibility is that users simply stop using this forum and convene elsewhere in private to provide mutual support. Somewhere PTC can't ‘leverage’ (their favourite word). But that is a huge amount of effort and someone would have to organise it 

at least they offer this forum...

I have seen "private" solutions (e.g. facebook groups) in other areas. I think it's even worse. For newcomers it's even harder to find those groups.

It's an general movement, let the customer do the work and he is happy...

I know of at least 2 other forums that are open to all to ask PTC-product related questions.

www,eng-tips.com

www.mcadcentral.com

bmüller wrote:

Is there any chance that PTC will NOT increase yearly maintenance cost for perpetual.

No.  Maintenance costs for existing perpetual licenses will continue to increase each year, most likely at a rate higher than a corresponding subscription.

Highlighted

The quote I just got for my Creo Essentials support renewal came in about $280 more per seat for subscription than for perpetual. The perpetual price did not go up much from last year. Yes, they are throwing in extra options & extensions with subscription (simulate, surface, additive mfg, piping & cabling) along with eLearning, Extended Borrowing, Design Exploration, Human Factors, and I would have multiple seats of simulate instead of 1. It looks like subscription is cost effective if you have the extras and perpetual is cost effective if you are fairly bare bones. I have not made a decision yet.

In my opinion the major factor is not the price difference, it's future access to your data.  If you switch to subscription now and then decide to stop at some point in the future, you lose all ability to run the software and access your intellectual property.  On the other hand, if you are on maintenance and decide to stop, you can still run the software forever (perpetually), you just lose access to tech support and future updates.  If you never plan to stop your subscription, then it doesn't make any difference.  I'm just not ready (yet) to make that kind of commitment and risk potentially losing access to our intellectual property at some point in the future.  Obviously each company is different.

Trainstopper,

As an older than dirt (30+ year) PTC software user, I cringe everytime I hear the words PTC is "throwing in options" (I.E. free options into the code). The fact is just about everything that Creo contains today has been in the code either all along or has been in or out to some degree over the past decade. While I cannot say for 100% certainty as I do not have a copy of your license agreement to read, but going on history, I doubt very much you are getting full blown Simulate for free in your license. I say you are getting Simulate Lite, which has been "in" Essentials since at least Creo2. Surface and .stl file creation  (I.E. new buzz term "Additive Manufacturing") have been there since at least 1998. Proper "Cable and piping" went bye-bye around the time RSD became a salable "thing" for PTC. But that functionality is easily accomplished with tools already in the code as of Creo2 and safely prior to that.

Listen, I do not want to sound like some old crotchety geezer....but after 3 decades of being knee deep in BS marketing hype, licensing shell games and "Enhancement" smoke and mirrors by PTC, I am a bit cranky. I have lived through decades of Better, Faster, More Productive, BetterFasterProductivity, BombDiggetyFasterProductivity, Ad Nauseam BettererFastererProductivity. If all that were true, I could model a 787 Dreamliner in about 9 seconds. Total Garbage. Us geezers basically created the software you use today based on our blood, pain and tears.

Please understand this whole subscription deal is 100% about NOTHING BUT MONEY for shareholders. Do not move one inch forward in your design life on Creo thinking you or me or anyone is get anything for free. The mis-direction now, like all dealers whether drugs or software, once you are hooked...the price becomes irrelevant. Meaning, "the first one is free" is alive and well and anyone addicted to Creo by the end of 2018 will see prices rise stupidly high relative to today.

Tom,

If you had to guess...How do you suppose PTC will deal with the reality of most of us? That reality is our clients, usually very large install bases, will probably continue to pay maintnence on their perpetual licenses since they have buying power leverage, and only upgrade every 3rd rev. What happens year two when the old rev is needed but they will shut us off becasue we do not need the latest rev. I assume this subscription deal could also be deemed a "usage priviledge" fee. We will be forced to buy a subscription for access to old code. I have to stop....the more I think about this deal...the more steamed I get.

Good point Tom,

The payment is for access to your IP.

Perhaps we should call it an annual ransome.

Pay it or your business is dead.

That is a true statement!

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)

My question and issue with subscriptions is, what if you have multiple customers and they require different versions of Creo files? Customer A wants their files developed on Creo 2, but Customer B wants Creo 4. With subscriptions, do we still get the flexibility to run multiple versions of Creo? Can we run Wildfire 5, if needed still?