cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Pipe Feature has left the building...!

nluyt
1-Newbie

Pipe Feature has left the building...!

HELP! Pulling my few remaining thinning gray hair out in bunches... my first 4 hours in Creo2 coming from WF5

Remember the good old pipe feature, as in #Insert #Advanced #Pipe ?

I love this feature, have been using it a lot, kinda like sweep, except you dont have to define a section sketch, and you don't have to round corners in your trajectory curve, it does those automatically, LOVELY.

Problem is I can't find it in Creo2, after some sniffing around I typed "pipe" into the command search, and there she was, however usually when you hover your mouse over a result in the command search, it shows you where in the menu tabs to find the command. Not in this case...

Is PTC stealthily nudging this feature slowly towards the back door with a grubby boot before "losing" it in "creo next point 0" hoping that we won't notice...? Does Pro/SHIPBUILD or Pro/COMPOSITE ring a bell...?

Please someone back me up on this one, prove me wrong and show me where she's gone!

Norm

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19
ocorten-2
9-Granite
(To:nluyt)

Hi Norman,

It's there, but you have to do it in Assembly mode:

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten | CAD/PLM Manager

Besi Netherlands B.V. | Ratio 6| 6921RW Duiven| The Netherlands
T: +31 26 3196215 | M: +31 644548554
- | www.besi.com

To: -
Date: 08-01-2014 08:27
Subject: [proecad] - Pipe Feature has left the building...!

HELP! Pulling my few remaining thinning gray hair out in bunches... my first 4 hours in Creo2 coming from WF5

Remember the good old pipe feature, as in #Insert #Advanced #Pipe ?
I love this feature, have been using it a lot, kinda like sweep, except you dont have to define a section sketch, and you don't have to round corners in your trajectory curve, it does those automatically, LOVELY.

Problem is I can't find it in Creo2, after some sniffing around I typed "pipe" into the command search, and there she was, however usually when you hover your mouse over a result in the command search, it shows you where in the menu tabs to find the command. Not in this case...

Is PTC stealthily nudging this feature slowly towards the back door with a grubby boot before "losing" it in "creo next point 0" hoping that we won't notice...? Does Pro/SHIPBUILD or Pro/COMPOSITE ring a bell...?

Please someone back me up on this one, prove me wrong and show me where she's gone!
Norm

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm not sure where they put it but if you select the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner and type PIPE in the box, it opens it for you. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you where it came from and it's the old menu manager so it's not in the ribbon.

When I looked to add it to the ribbon, if you go to all commands, it's listed there but you can't add it to a ribbon. Hmmm...

Norm,

You can still get to it in part mode. You have to access it thru the command search tool at the top of the screen. do a search for pipe. Would think other companies that use tubing thathave not purchased thepiping module would still want this in place to be able to geenerate pipe bend data tables automaticly.
I ended up creating a shortcut tab for my creo parameteric session. Not sure why PTC left it out of the default ribbion interface.

Hope this helps,

Don Anderson

Does this mapkey still work to get to the pipe?

mapkey xx ~ Command `ProCmdPipe`;

Thanks,

Mike Foster
ATK
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Yes it does.

nluyt
1-Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies,

Looks like there is no ribbon/menu button for this feature anymore, and you cannot add it to the ribbon.

Mike suggested using the old mapkey recorded in WF5, and this works, I'm going with this, thanks Mike.

mapkey xx ~ Command `ProCmdPipe`;

I am going to submit an enhancement to bring this feature back to the menu.

Cheers

Norm

Hi Norm

Pipe command can still be found in part mode but you will have use the search command, or customize the ribbon and look at the section Commands not in the ribbon.

Best Regards

Dave

dgallup
4-Participant

<h1>CS34894</h1>

Release Status Datecode

Creo 1.0 No Plans to Fix -

Creo 2.0 No Plans to Fix -

That is unbelievable. How do we start a user revolt?

In Reply to David Brainsky:

Hi Norm

Pipe command can still be found in part mode but you will have use the search command, or customize the ribbon and look at the section Commands not in the ribbon.

Best Regards

Dave

A presentation I proposed a while ago for the PTC/User conference was on the user being able to discover destination points, the place in the software that finally triggers a change in the model database, and relate them to orgination points, the places a user starts. Once those two places are identified, it is possible to order the steps necessary to connect them and concentrate on making the path as short and obvious as possible.

It appears there is less interest at PTC in making those connections than one might hope for.

As much fun as it is to tar and feather PTC (plus it's so east at times and they often bring it on themselves), I might tap the brakes a bit. Not positive this is revolt worthy (I can think of other items such as pitiful PDMLink/Creo performance, Simp Rep view panel auto-download snafu, etc. that are more aggravating.). I think an apt analogy is the Developer tab in Office. It's a niche use, so you have to customize it to bring the tab to view. Pipe (and conic and n-sided) is (are) also niche (well, I might argue that Pipe isn't) and, thus, are not available unless you customize the tabs.

That said, it does seem to be a slight oversight and that these advanced features could relatively easily be added to the Engineering or Shapes overflow without really impacting usability. And the balance to that is simply that decisions do have to be made with respect to layout and no matter what decision they make, some of us will bemoan it (I'm not particularly happy with the obscured Pipe personally).

BK

I think part of the problem is that the feature is called a "Pipe". PTC probably assumes that the proportion of their users working with plumbing is small so to reduce clutter they took pipes out of the GUI.

In reality there is likely a rather large number of users like us who use pipes for all kinds of things having nothing to do with plumbing such as electrical wire, wire rope, cables, etc...

Any time you need an easy to construct feature that has a round cross section and has to be is routed this way and that around corners and bends the pipe feature is the way to go; much easier than sweeps and blends.

PTC ought to figure out how to get good usage data for the various functions before deciding whether or not to retire or hide them.

Mike Foster
mlocascio
4-Participant

Here! Here! Mike Foster. You have probably said what many of us are thinking.

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 8:59 AM, "Foster, Mike (Goleta)" <-> wrote:
>
> I think part of the problem is that the feature is called a "Pipe". PTC probably assumes that the proportion of their users working with plumbing is small so to reduce clutter they took pipes out of the GUI.

> In reality there is likely a rather large number of users like us who use pipes for all kinds of things having nothing to do with plumbing such as electrical wire, wire rope, cables, etc…

> Any time you need an easy to construct feature that has a round cross section and has to be is routed this way and that around corners and bends the pipe feature is the way to go; much easier than sweeps and blends.

> PTC ought to figure out how to get good usage data for the various functions before deciding whether or not to retire or hide them.

> Mike Foster

I thought the complaint was that the pipe feature is unavailable for addition to the Ribbon.

A better analogy to Excel is if PTC were to put Relations, Family Table, and Program on a tab with a config option to show or hide the tab. What PTC did is as if MS removed the Statistics functions from the functions list, suggesting they no longer existed, and requiring users who knew about them to remember the function names.

It is refreshing to see that PTC is working on a command line interface. No Pipe icon? Type Pipe on the command line.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

"PTC is not interested in how engineers work. They are interested in getting engineers to work PTC's way."

ArnoldCollett
4-Participant

You can add the “Pipe” command to the Toolbar or Ribbon;
The first picture shows adding it to the Toolbar and the second picture shows adding it to the Ribbon (create your own tab to add it to), it just shows up as a green ball;

[cid:image001.png@01CF1610.54398FA0]

[cid:image002.png@01CF1610.54398FA0]

Thanks,
Arnold Collett

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

Wow, sorry I've been behind on my exploder emails. Piping is very much alive and well. Go into an assembly (Creo2 build M060), and go to the Applications tab. Piping is in there along with cabling, welding, mechanism, etc.
[cid:image003.jpg@01CF1ADC.6355D310]

It even has its own ribbon.
[cid:image007.jpg@01CF1ADC.6355D310]

I think all the responses show how little piping is actually used. NO ONE using piping could step up and answer this? I'm surprised no one from PTC stepped up either. PTC does a lot of things that might be deserving of criticism, but this certainly doesn't seem to be one of them.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]

The discussion is about the pipe Feature, not the routed systems module Piping.

x

BillChapman
12-Amethyst

Rob,

The piping you refer to requires special licensing to use. The pipe feature discussed below was available with the basic modeling package.

Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01CF1B4B.62C02350]
mlocascio
4-Participant

Actually I am more surprised that too many users GET to use the piping module. It's kind of like a privilege at most companies. In fact, piping is on my dream list.

Have you ever ran a section of pipe or hose using the pipe command and have the assembly constraints change on you?

>
Top Tags