cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Plotter config

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Plotter config

My company recently purchased a new Xerox 5550N printer and I am trying to get it to work with Wildfire 5 M080, but am having no luck.

At first I figured I could go in to the old .pcf file and just edit the plotter_command to point to the new printer.

Changed from plotter_command print /d:\\eng100\HP_5000 %1 to plotter_command lpr -S 172.16.10.94 -P 172.16.10.94 since the printer is no longer on a print server. I have also tried plotter_command windows_print_command Xerox_Phaser_1 to see if I had to state it was a locally added printer.

After this did not work I went through and made sure that I had the Postscript driver installed and tried again. Still didn't work.

I'm new to editing the .pcf files and truly do not know what every command does. I will upload the new and old .pcf files and any help would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Erik,

I guess that the command lpr -S 172.16.10.94 -P 172.16.10.94 is incorrect. You cannot enter IP addres in -P option. You have to enter Name of the print queue there. Maybe you can connect to your printer using command telnet 172.16.10.94 and put / command to see current settings of your network printer.

In my case (printer HP LaserJet 1320) I can see the following queue names:

TCP/IP LPD QUEUES__________________________

LPD Print Queues :

Queue Name: RAW Prepend String: Append String: Processing:RAW

Queue Name: TEXT Prepend String: Append String: Processing:TEXT

Queue Name: AUTO Prepend String: Append String: Processing:AUTO

Queue Name: BINPS Prepend String: Append String: Processing:BINPS

Also open Command Prompt window and enter lpr command to be sure that this command exists inside your operating system.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I fought this for a few days and finally gave up and just added the printers to a print server and went back to the old way of doing it. I started using the "print" command instead of "lpr" and it kept giving me a "Cannot Initialize device" error. Figure it has something to do with trying to print to an IP address instead of device name via command prompt.

Thanks for the help though. LPR was not a command in Windows7 so that is why I had to use PRINT.

Erik,

in Windows 7 you can activate lpr and telnet command using the following procedure:

> Start

> Control Panel

> Programs

> Programs And Features

> Turn Windows features on or off

> Check LPR Port Monitor

> Check Telnet Client

> OK

lpr_telnet.gif

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags