cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Point file.pts import truncating accuracy

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Point file.pts import truncating accuracy

All,

I'm trying to import a series of points, generated externally and formatted into a .pts file. I'm following the route of Point -> Offset Coordinate System -> Import.

I have a previous model where we've done this and the points are reported at full accuracy (7 or 8 decimal places). However, today when I import the points the values are being truncated (or rounded) to 3 decimal places, which is enough to create visible imperfects at the scale I'm working. If I manually edit a value with more decimal places they are truncated (or rounded) off again.

Is this related to model accuracy - which is currently absolute, 0.01 (mm) - or a config option somewhere?

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Check that in your config.pro the following setting is set:

default_dim_num_digits yes

On Creo 2.0 M100, I tested that when I changed it to read:

default_dim_num_digits no

the system then started truncating the .pts imported dimensions to 3 decimal places (the value of default_dec_places setting)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Check that in your config.pro the following setting is set:

default_dim_num_digits yes

On Creo 2.0 M100, I tested that when I changed it to read:

default_dim_num_digits no

the system then started truncating the .pts imported dimensions to 3 decimal places (the value of default_dec_places setting)

Thanks Paul!

I haven't tested your solution but I'm prepared to believe that it works.

The first answer I got was via the email exploder:

Not sure what release your using: If it’s Creo 2.0 try this config option: default_dec_places

Setting Range is (0 – 13)

Sure enough, changing this from 3 to 6 caused .pts values to be imported at their full accuracy of (wait for it) 8 or 9 decimal places (depending on total number of digits – actually 10 sig fig). Go figure….

Not sure about that - my creo works as intended:

it rounds to the correct # of default_dec_places if default_dim_num_digits no

You know, there just might be a 3rd option that overrides the above two in unexpected ways

it is always fun to -know- you have to second guess your favorite CAD software

I'll have to go back and see what my last points import actually did.

How many ways do we have to import points?

And how many ways can we actually see the value of these points?

I imported these into a part (import feature) from an IBL file (curve) with 8 digit accuracy. It seems to manage these as originally created.

points_accuracy.PNG

This is the same series of points in a curve from file (the IBL file)...

If there was truncation going on, this would be reflected in the analysis.

import_curve_accuracy.PNG

Thansk for posting the method used... I have my decimal places set to 4 by default. This is the results of the import through the points>coordinate system>import (didn't know that was there )

import_point_accuracy.PNG

Top Tags