cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Pro-E Upgrade Wildfire 4 to Wildfire 5

ptc-5061493
1-Newbie

Pro-E Upgrade Wildfire 4 to Wildfire 5

Is there a way to upgrade Wildfire 4 to Wildfire 5 offline?

I run Pro-E Wildfire 5 on my XP box but it keeps crashing (PC issue - not Pro-E) so I need to install the same on another box.

Somehow the Wildfire 5 disks have gone missing and all I have is Wildfire 4 M090 disks. I've installed this on a Win7-64 box and pointed it to my old PC to get the license.

The problem is that the Wildfire 4 installation cannot open any files that use family tables. It just refuses to find the files that are sitting in the same folder. I assume that this may have been a new feature in Wildfire 5.

I would have used the same disks when I installed Pro-E on my old XP box. I don't remember but I guess that I must have upgraded that box to Wildfire 5 via an online upgrade. The add/remove programs tool on my XP box shows that Pro/Engineer Release Wildfire 4.0 Datecode M090 is installed as well as Pro/Engineer Release Wildfire 5.0 Datecode M010.

The new Win7-64 machine is not on the internet. To connect it to the internet I would lose the connection to my old box and hence lose access to the license.

How can I upgrade my offline Win7-64 box from Wildfire 4 to Wildfire 5 either without connecting it to the internet or without losing connection to my XP licensed box? Is there an upgrade that I can download?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Once you copy the installation folder you can navigate to the bin directory inside it (C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\bin on my nachine) and run ptcsetp.bat as administrator. This will properly configure WF5 for your Win7 machine.

Good luck.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Typically, you need maintenance to get current or back versions of Pro|E. It is a support site function.

If you have current maintenance, you can use any version up the latest. But if your maintenance has lapsed for a significant period of time, you have some bucks to shell out.

I do know that you can still swap the license files from one machine to another without maintenance. It requires you to jump through a few hoops but it is all done with your original purchase order and customer number.

So will PTC give you a disk to the level you last had current maintenance? I'm sure many would love to know.

I download every version, past versions, and support files for backup burning. I definitely don't want to be where you're at now. But I would like to know what PTC is willing to do for you. You might start by contacting a VAR.

That reminds me, I should order the physical media for Creo 2.0 M080.

Michael,

you can simply copy the whole ProE WF5 directory from XP box to W7 box and try to launch ProE. I think the copy on W7 needs some manual modification, but it will work.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Once you copy the installation folder you can navigate to the bin directory inside it (C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\bin on my nachine) and run ptcsetp.bat as administrator. This will properly configure WF5 for your Win7 machine.

Good luck.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for all of your replies. I am time poor at the moment but hope to try out your suggestions as soon as I can. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thanks guys. It worked a treat

Actually, it's a DOWNgrade, but I digress........

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags