cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Pro Engineer is very slow...

mecestudent
1-Newbie

Pro Engineer is very slow...

When I run Pro Engineer Student Edition on my desktop it runs very slowly...what is wrong?

My computer has a processor speed of 2.33 Ghz and has 2GB RAM. I'm quite sure the video card is good enough...it's either a nVidia or Radeon...I'm not home at the moment so can't remember exactly (it's good enough to play many different video games on it).

Is there any other information you need?

Thanks for the help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Are you using the Windows display adapter driver or the one from the manufacturer with Open-gl? If you are using the Windows driver it will only support directx. I don't know why Microsoft only supports the format they make????

If you don't have opengl Pro/E is way slow and every time you move the mouse over a line all the lines in the part slowly highlight then unhighlight.

If you are having a different problem, please give more detail as to when it is being slow, and I will try to help some more.

"If you don't have opengl Pro/E is way slow and every time you move the mouse over a line all the lines in the part slowly highlight then unhighlight."

Hmm...that seems to be the problem I'm having. I guess it's because I don't have opengl. How do I find out if I have opengl and how do I solve the problem?

Thanks for the help! 🙂

Check to see who the display driver is made by. Right click on your desktop and go to properties. If the driver is published by Microsoft it is not going to support OpenGL. You will need to download the driver from ATI or nVidia.

Here is a screenshot of my display properties dialogs.

displaydriver.jpg

I just found a program that tests opengl kind of like dxdiag tests Directx.

Seems to work really nice. I downloaded it and tried it out.

You can get it from here - it is free: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

Here is a screenshot after the opengl test. Looks like my driver supports forward context 3.0 but not 3.2 (not sure what that means).

glview.jpg

You can get ATI drivers here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

And nVidia drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Let me know if you have any other questions. What version of Windows are you running?

I have a core 2 duo processor of 2.93 GHz, 2 gb ram, 500 GB hard disk, and no graphics card i recently installed creo and I experienced a very slow process the plane selection is itself very slow. i have been advised to put a graphics card is it nessary......if so can i put 1 gb or 2 gb. please help me..........

In order to work properly Pro/E needs to use OpenGL. If you have an onboard Intel graphics card or just have the Windows driver install it probably does not support OpenGL.

a 1 or 2 GB graphics card should work. Quadro or FireGL cards are better than GeForce and Radion cards but they all should work - if you have the manufacturers driver installed.

Top Tags