cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Pro crashing right after startup

ptc-1727691
1-Newbie

Pro crashing right after startup

Pro/E is crashing immediately after starting up today. It seems that it may be related to recent automatic updates from microsoft that were installed overnight. One of the updates addresses DirectX security, and I suspect is the one causing problems. Anyone else experiencing this?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

We are running WF4. Another user here did NOT have the MS updates installed and is experiencing the same problem, so it may not be caused by the updates after all.

Are you working with Windchill? In this case, his cache may be corrupt.

Regards, Hugo.

Things are running again. There does appear to be some tie-up with the PTC website which had been down while this problem was going on. This is an unacceptable issue...we can't have Pro crashing every time there is a hangup with their website.

This was sent to me from another user (Thanks Mark!)

The lines below were cut from the config.pro file that I use for all of our seats.
It corrects the problems that you describe.

web_enable_subscription no
! Enable the subscription mechanism for connections
! Corrects issues encountered when PTC.com is off-line

We had two cases like this two days ago (ProE crashing immediately), at first I thought it was related to updates or config options as mentioned here... re-installing Pro/E and running with blank config didn't fix it... however, PTC Tech support directed me towards the Pro/E cache - deleting this folder + all contentssolved the issue and allowed Pro/E to start as normal:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER

I'll be storing this away for future reference...

Edwin Muirhead

In Reply to John Allen:

Pro/E is crashing immediately after starting up today. It seems that it may be related to recent automatic updates from microsoft that were installed overnight. One of the updates addresses DirectX security, and I suspect is the one causing problems. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yep......in a linked session with PDMLink, if the local cache is corrupt, ProE will exit right after the user authenticates to Windchill. We run across this occassionally and the user's shutter with fear when they're told that their cache is corrupt and needs to be deleted. "What about all my stuff in all my workspaces that's not checked in, I'll loose it all :-((" Well....we have had reasonable success just deleting the offending workspace folder and it's cache from the server directory under the .cache folder.Remember. you're dealing with the data....anything can happen. When this works the user only looses local files from the offending workspace that have not been Uploaded and not the entire cache. Make sure you'reProE is not running when you delete the workspace folder. After deletion, launch ProE and the workspace local cache will be rebuilt from the server side. The rebuilt local workspace will be whatever was on the server side workspace.

Regards, Jim

Removing the local cache didn't resolve the issue. I had the user delete the workspace on the server side as well but this did not resolve the issue (this is a relatively new installation so he didn't care about the workspace data). Is there something else that should be deleted on the server side? I'm assuming this isthe same issue thats causing the crash - any other ideas about what might cause the crash? Its only crashing for one user.

Colleen.....I can't think of anything on the server side that would lead to a local client crash of ProE. If you have deleted the .wf directory on the client machine try launching ProE from the proe1.bat located in the proewildfire# bin directory. With the .wf deleted ProE should launch with no server connections. The user will not be asked to authenticate to the Windchill server. The user may be asked for internet access when the ProE browser tries to connect to the internet. If ProE crashes during this launch then I don't believe that Windchill and the local cache are the culprit.

Kindest Regards, Jim

Top Tags