cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

ProE_Borrow: Can not borrow that long

EddyVE
10-Marble

ProE_Borrow: Can not borrow that long

Hi all,

I am running Creo 4.0 M050.

On installation (a few years ago) I set system environment variable LM_BORROW_DURATION  to a value of 179 to allow for a longer period to borrow the license.

I don't recall I was ever able to borrow for that maximum number of days. Around 150 days, more or less, that would work. I usually would start at ProE_Borrow with a value of 179, get an error 'Can not borrow that long' when Creo started, and decrement that number until Creo would accept it.

Yesterday, I had to go as low as 35 days to borrow before Creo would accept it.

So, there seems to be another mechanism besides LM_BORROW_DURATION that limits the number of days that you can borrow.

Does anybody know what it might be? And how I can get around it?

PS. You would think that if Creo knows that it 'Can not borrow that long', it would be kind enough to let us know how many days it CAN borrow .... 🙄  😉

Kind regards

Eddy

5 REPLIES 5

@EddyVE wrote:

Hi all,

I am running Creo 4.0 M050.

On installation (a few years ago) I set system environment variable LM_BORROW_DURATION  to a value of 179 to allow for a longer period to borrow the license.

I don't recall I was ever able to borrow for that maximum number of days. Around 150 days, more or less, that would work. I usually would start at ProE_Borrow with a value of 179, get an error 'Can not borrow that long' when Creo started, and decrement that number until Creo would accept it.

Yesterday, I had to go as low as 35 days to borrow before Creo would accept it.

So, there seems to be another mechanism besides LM_BORROW_DURATION that limits the number of days that you can borrow.

Does anybody know what it might be? And how I can get around it?

PS. You would think that if Creo knows that it 'Can not borrow that long', it would be kind enough to let us know how many days it CAN borrow .... 🙄  😉

Kind regards

Eddy

Hi,

1.]

Look into your license file.

If you have permanent license then you can see that its INCREMENT block contains BORROW=720 specification. Therefore you can borrow the license for 720 hours = 30 days, you can enter maximum of 29 days.

If you have subscription license then you can see that its INCREMENT block contains BORROW=4320 specification. Therefore you can borrow the license for 4320 hours = 180 days, you can enter maximum of 179 days.

2.]

If you have subscription license then borrowing maximum depends on expiration date, too.

Example: If you can see something like INCREMENT PROE_DesignEss ptc_d 37.0 22-jun-2020 and todays date is 12-jun-2020, then you can enter maximum of 10 days, only.

3.]

I do not set system environment variable LM_BORROW_DURATION. Instead of it I modify parametric_borrow.bat / ptcborrow.bat files. I add two following lines at the beginning of the file

set PRO_LANG=english

set LM_BORROW_DURATION=number_of_days

Martin Hanák

Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

But I wasn't able to find my license file. Where is this typically stored, or what is its name?

I searched high and low for it .. but I could not find a file with any of the contents that you described ....

Kind regards

Eddy

@EddyVE wrote:

Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

But I wasn't able to find my license file. Where is this typically stored, or what is its name?

I searched high and low for it .. but I could not find a file with any of the contents that you described ....

Kind regards

Eddy

Hi,

open parametric.psf file located in Parametric\bin subdirectory of your Creo installation in Notepad and find row starting with ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=

Value present after equal sign can be:

1.] path to license file

-OR-

2.] 7788@computername

If 2.] is your case then path to license file is ... C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\licensing\license.dat ... on computername

Martin Hanák

Hi,

to enable borrowing on license server - computername, you have to:
1. stop lmadmin_ptc service
2. in WordPad open server.xml file located in C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\conf directory
3. change adminOnly= value to "false"
4. change licenseReclaimAllowed= value to "true"
5. save server.xml file
6. start lmadmin_ptc services

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin

In my case it points to 7788@servername . 

So the license must be on my company's server, and unfortunately, I do not have access to that ...  

And this also means that on my pc there is no "C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\" folder.

So I guess I am out of options.

Anyway, many thanks, Martin for your help and for sharing your knowledge!

Kind regards

Eddy

Top Tags