cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

ProE Network license server help

ptc-2618932
1-Newbie

ProE Network license server help

The server we have our licensing installed on is failing. I want to install it on another server. I'm new here and anyone who set up this software has left the company. Anyone here have any recommendations on how to go about this? I am using FlexLM for the license server. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Levi, What you are saying is that you want to move the Flexlm licence server from the failing server to a new server? First you need your new MAC address of the new server. Contact PTC and tell them you want to swap from the old server to the new server (both MAC address required). PTC will e-mail you with a new licence code. Load this on to your new server and install the software pointing at this licence file. Any problems please e-mail direct if you wish. Andy

I have done this same thing. The workstation that Pro/E was on is failing. I have moved the software to a new machine and contacted PTC and they generated an updated license file for me with the updated MAC address but when I try to install the FlexLM, it says everything is invalid. What could be the issue here? Roy

Hi Roy, the problem can be have varius causes. 1. Disable all anti-virus-programm and personal firewall. Then try it again. 2. I don´t know if it is important but Andy wrote"....install the software pointing at this licence file" and you have wrote" I have moved...." that means that you have made copy&paste. You must install! 3. Sometimes it helps when you uninstall TCP/IP 6. 4. I hope there is no other CAD programm on this computer. 5. If you start the setup, you can read the mac adress on the screen. Is this the same mac adress from your license? Regards Jürgen

That is correct. I have ran the license that PTC has generated for me and the new MAC address is in the license. But when I run the check on it, all of my products end up on the invalid side. But when I put the old MAC address in, they end up valid? Its really strange. Now I'm using Intralink. Does this have anything to do with the issue I'm having? Does something need to be changed there? Roy

What is the best way to contact PTC to get them to send out the new license file. Is there a specific email address it must go to?

Follow this link:https://www.ptc.com/appserver/lm/rsl/reconfig.jsp. It will being up the web tool for moving a license. I usually have a new one within an hour.

How do I contact support if I dont have llicense info etc....

Is there a way around this to setup the new server??

Are you on Windows ?

FlexLm looks in the registry for the first Network Card in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards and uses its MAC adress for licensing. The order is alpha numeric which means 10 is before 2. You can reorder them by renaming the folders but set a breakpoint first so you can roll back to the old state.

If you are using removable cards the order may change as the driver is loaded only if the card is connected to a network. So google for MediaSense and create a key which always loads the driver and therefore does not change the registry order.

You can get a new license file or carry the old network card over to the new server.

This is for XP, Windows 7 may be different but I doubt it.

Editing the license file will corrupt it.

Reinhard

Yes I am using windows. We are upgrading the server it is hosted on, but in the meantime are going to be completely formatting the drives and rebuilding it from scratch, so while we are doing that we just want to move the license server over to a temp location until the original is back online. I am working on getting a new license file from PTC now to move it that way.

Top Tags