cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

ProE borrow license

pjg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

ProE borrow license

Hi. We are having some problems getting “Borrow License� working. Here is: Our ProE installation is on one sever. Our License manager is installed on another server. This works okay for our workstations. Then we have some new laptops where ProE is installed locally and license is pointing to our license server. This is fine as long as the network cable is plugged in. Then, when running the local proe_borrow.bat on the laptop, choosing 0 for borrowing license same day and then choosing a Startup Configuration – ProE then starts up. Removing net cable makes a popup saying that license is lost… Closing ProE down and restart doesn’t make any different. What goes wrong…..? Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
GraemeN
1-Newbie
(To:pjg)

When you request your license files from http://www.ptc.com/support/proengineer.htm Licensing, at any time, there will be 2 files. lm_*****.txt lm_*****_standard.txt By default you will have license file lm_*****_standard.txt installed on your license server. You need to replace the license file with lm_*****.txt to your server. If you open lm_*****.txt you will find at the bottom the string BORROW=360
pjg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:GraemeN)

Thanks for your answer I have just checked and the license file contains the BORROW=360....... Running PTCstatus.bat after using the proe_borrow.bat does not show that the license is checked out. We use WF4 - and the laptops are running on a 64bit system - but I don't asume this has any influence. Any tip/idea is appreciated Thanks.
GraemeN
1-Newbie

Hei Peter I've justed updated our license to test the license borrowing. Below is the procedure I used to install our license file I hope this helps. We are also using WF4 on HP 64bit vista laptops. Note I'm working directly on the server and our installation is on D drive. The folder "New_License" I created manually. 1. Place new license file e.g. lm_28169235.txt in D:\ptc\flexlm\New_license a. When receiving new licenses from PTC two files will be delivered. i. lm_28169235.txt ii.lm_28169235_standard.txt b. Either file can be used but license lm_28169235.txt will allow license borrowing. 2. Goto D:\ptc\flexlm\bin. Run ptcsetup.bat 3. Load the new license file by navigating to D:\ptc\flexlm\New_license: lm_28169235.txt 4. Press “configure� then “Exit� Installation is now complete. The file “license.dat� In the folder D:\ptc\flexlm\licensing will be updated and have a new modified date.
pjg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

"Peter J. G." wrote:

Hi. We are having some problems getting “Borrow Licenseâ€� working. Here is: Our ProE installation is on one sever. Our License manager is installed on another server. This works okay for our workstations. Then we have some new laptops where ProE is installed locally and license is pointing to our license server. This is fine as long as the network cable is plugged in. Then, when running the local proe_borrow.bat on the laptop, choosing 0 for borrowing license same day and then choosing a Startup Configuration – ProE then starts up. Removing net cable makes a popup saying that license is lost… Closing ProE down and restart doesn’t make any different. What goes wrong…..? Thanks in advance 🙂

GraemeN
1-Newbie

They don't make it easy hey. Thanks for the info.
DarylWolf
4-Participant

we have the problem where it will only borrow if we unplug the cable and borrow with the wireless connection to the server. not sure why that is. it will say you have a license borrowed but when you unplug the cable it wont let you in. very strange thanks Daryl

Sorry mate I haven't got an answer to that. All we have to do is start Pro/E from the "proe_borrow.bat" select the number of days, Pro/E will start. Close it. Start Pro/E again in the normal way and it's done. Pro/E will start from the borrowed license whether you are connected to the server or not. However it sounds like your problems a far more than following that simple procedure.

When you unplug the network cable, Windows by default turn off your network card. Maybe this is the cause of your problems ... See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/en-us if you are using Windows XP. Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags