cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Problems with license and exiting Creo Parametric

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Problems with license and exiting Creo Parametric

What am I doing wrong?

I am closing Creo Parametric and it always tells me that unsaved data will be lost. I click okay and move on.

I put my Dell M6600 to sleep and come back the next day and Creo says the license is unavailable and it tells me that my last session had crashed.

2 questions:

1. why does Creo do this?

2. how do I release the license without rebooting?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Today I received the service reply by phone (at 6:00AM not less!). Due to having a single license on a single computer, the tech opted to replace the FlexWeb(?) with an older license server. I let him drive my machine and the process involved removing the LM and installing older version. It also required some monkeying with my registry file under NT\network adapter IIRC. ...and you know I was sitting on pins and needles watching all this go on as he drove my precious Dell. Sure enough, something happened with my VPN after I regained control. I think it is back up to snuff now, but that really wasn't a comfortable session.

I did ask if there was a manual license release, and the tech "promised me" that I wouldn't ever need it after this "upgrade". So far, so good.

If you have a similar situation, put in the service request. You can reference this case:

Case #10842537: "Lincese not being released after shutdown of Creo Parametric

3 days from filing to resolution. Not to bad.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Antonius,

I think that the problem (license is unavailable) is related to sleep mode. Unfortunatelly I do not know, how to avoid it.Maybe it's general problem of Flexnet.

To release the license without rebooting, you have to stop/start "license service".

Flexnet 10.* ... FLEXlm server for PTC

Flexnet 11.* ... lmadmin_ptc

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I have a service call in for this also. I mistakenly replied to you thinking it was the Support reply.

The sleep mode doesn't do this inherently. Only if the license server is still running when I put the computer to sleep. I left it be for about a 1/2 hour last night and Creo opened fine this morning. I'm curious as to how long it takes for the license to release itself. What about when the computer puts itself to sleep from non-activity.

Where does one find the manuals for FLEXNET?

Antonius,

inside FLEXnet installation you can find ptc.opt file. Standard timeout is set to 2 hours. If you launch Creo Parametric and go away for more than 2 hours, then FLEXnet will release the license for other users.

FLEXnet guide is included in FLEXnet installation and also in Creo installation. Its name is flex.pdf.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I think that is when Creo is running. I know this error well from 2000i, and it is recoverable with a simple "Okay to Continue". The license file is safely recovered and work can continue.

I think I will wait for service to reply. I don't like messing with LM features when things are working... sort-of.

I also seem to have some path problems. I typed LMHOSTID at the command prompt and it didn't recognize the command. I have a similar issue with Purge where it couldn't find several DLL files or Purge.exe for that matter. Is the default installation on Windows 7 x64 really that bad?

Antonius,

the problem with purge is related to Creo 1.0/2.0 (not to Windows 7 64-bit). It does not exist in Pro/ENGINEER WF5 (or older). The root of the problem is the fact that Creo installation does not add the path to CREO\bin directory into system variable PATH (eg. C:\usr\Creo1_M020\Parametric\bin). You have to do this action manually.

I do not understand this new Creo feature. I found a lot of Cases opened at PTC mentioning this problem. Unfortunatelly, PTC support did not open SPR to correct the problem.

I did not find LMHOSTID command. Instead of it you can use ptchostid command (located in the same directory as purge).

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Section 12 of the FLEX.pdf. Seems you need to load the admin tools yourself.

So ...what is the suggested method for cleaning up a folder for a long term project if Purge is being purged?

Thanks for the path extension. I read that somewhere but it didn't seem that simple. I also read that you have to set permissions to the application folders to yourself as user. I had already done that, reluctantly. Purge is now working

Today I received the service reply by phone (at 6:00AM not less!). Due to having a single license on a single computer, the tech opted to replace the FlexWeb(?) with an older license server. I let him drive my machine and the process involved removing the LM and installing older version. It also required some monkeying with my registry file under NT\network adapter IIRC. ...and you know I was sitting on pins and needles watching all this go on as he drove my precious Dell. Sure enough, something happened with my VPN after I regained control. I think it is back up to snuff now, but that really wasn't a comfortable session.

I did ask if there was a manual license release, and the tech "promised me" that I wouldn't ever need it after this "upgrade". So far, so good.

If you have a similar situation, put in the service request. You can reference this case:

Case #10842537: "Lincese not being released after shutdown of Creo Parametric

3 days from filing to resolution. Not to bad.

Top Tags