cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Problems with trail.txt file

Druck
4-Participant

Problems with trail.txt file

Hi guys,

I have a problem with trail.txt file. I use the Version: Creo Student 5.0.4.0. My problem is i don't find any trail.txt file on my PC. The only file with the same ending is PRO_trl.txt. Is this the same file as trail.txt? If yes how I can play it with creo? The Button for Play trail file is gray I cant push it.

10 REPLIES 10
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Druck)

Look at config setting trail_dir to see where the trail files are saved.

Also the file is not trail.txt.  It will be trail.txt.x (where x is an incrementing number 1...25...113...) as a new file is created for every session.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Druck
4-Participant
(To:kdirth)

Hi thanks for your help. I looked in the same direction where is trail_dir saved. There are only PRO_trl.txt files without number. I can't find any trail.txt.... file on my PC. Save the student version these files?

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

By default the trail.txt.* files are stored in the directory specified as "Start in:" for the program link on your desktop. You can specify a directory for it in you config.pro.

Have you tried searching your whole hard disk for trail.txt.* files?

I've never used a student version of the program so I don't have any experience with how it does things like this.

Druck
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Yes I searched on the whole system with Windows Explorer and on my own way. There are no trail.txt file on the system. I have this Problem on two different PC.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

search your computer for config.pro, open that file (or all of them) with a text editor (notepad or another that doesn't add formatting). Search for trail_dir ...If you have that option, where is it saying it is putting the trail files

Do the same search for config.sup

If neither of that works, right mouse button on the icon you use to start creo, click properties.

Look for the "start in:"  That is where the trail files will be if there is no other option.

if you don't understand or find these, post a screenshot of what you do find and maybe we can help.

Druck
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Hi,

thanks for your help. I deleted the whole Creo Program and reinstall it on the order where creo it wanted. To start by zero . I start the program and looked in the config editor. It shows me only this:Konfiguration.PNG

I created an object and saved it. I get again only a Pro_trl.txt. File now with number. Now I insert my config.pro and three other files from my school in C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 5.0.4.0\Common Files\Text\config.pro

I restart Creo and now I get a trail_dir direction

Capturekonfiguration.PNG

I created an object but it saved again only a PRO_trl.txt File in C/users/Public/Puplic Documents 

and in the tmp stay only out.log. files but not from this program. I changed the direction in C/users/Public/Public Documents but again it saves only PRO_trl.txt. file in this direction. In the config.pro stays 

trail_dir\tmp         or         trail_dir  C:\Users\Public\Documents after i changed it in creo.

Here you see the properties of creo. Two pictures because the Target was to long to see all on one picture::

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

In the PRO_trl.txt. file stay ever this: 

Capture5.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

That does look like a trail file. 

So the way i would test that is I would open Creo, create something, like a square block. save it and exit creo.

Go find the trail file it just create, copy it and rename it to something...test.txt or something, it just has to be different. 

open Creo again, go to and load the trail file  and see if it creates the block again. It will happen pretty fast if it works.

Druck
4-Participant

Good evening,

I created a square and renamed the Pro_trl.txt.4 to test.txt but I can't open it. My play button for Trail Files is gray.

MenueLeiste.PNG

test.txt.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Maybe the student edition doesn't allow running trail files. Or maybe your installation is doing something to prevent the use of the trail file.  You may want to ask that question on the academic board https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Academic-Program-Discussions/bd-p/PTCAcademicProgram

In your picture, is that the entire content of the trail file even after creating some geometry? If so, then it's not the trail file as it should have more stuff in it.

Druck
4-Participant

Hi,

yes this picture shows a PRO_trl.txt file after i created the square. I try to ask in the academic board too. Thanks for the hint.

Top Tags