cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Re-activating old Permanent License

CBenner
5-Regular Member

Re-activating old Permanent License

Hello,

I have an old License, perpetual, for Wildfire 5.0.  We no longer actively use Pro Engineer but would like to re-activate this license for viewing of legacy designs.  Machines in service occasionally need to be viewed for various reasons.  We own this license, so as far as I see it we should be able to use it.  I understand we cannot upgrade or do anything fancy with it.  But for opening and viewing existing documents, a license we already paid for should work.  I have edited the license file (which I kept from way back when), to update the MACC Address of the license server machine.  But each attempt to install and run the license server gives me this error:
(ptc_d) Invalid license key (inconsistent authentication code)

Attempts to look this error up online take me to a Knowledge Base that I cannot access without updating my maintenance, which I find to be just unacceptable.

Any thoughts on how I can get my existing, bought and paid for, license of WF5 up and running without having to pay for it again?

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:CBenner)

I'm not sure what the latest policy is. It used to be OK and I think it should be. Obviously the new license would only be good for the old version of Pro/E up to wherever you had last been on maintenance.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

You can't just go into the license file to try to update the MAC address. The codes within the file are based on the original MAC address. If you no longer have that computer that the license was originally on then you'll have to contact PTC license support about getting a new license file for the new computer.

CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:rreifsnyder)

@rreifsnyder 

Not unheard of to be able to do that, so I thought it was worth a try.

Will they be accommodating without my paying up 10 years of maintenance?

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

I'm not sure what the latest policy is. It used to be OK and I think it should be. Obviously the new license would only be good for the old version of Pro/E up to wherever you had last been on maintenance.

CBenner
5-Regular Member

@rreifsnyder 

Thank you for the help.  I'll dig a bit deeper.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
CBenner
5-Regular Member

@rreifsnyder 

Thanks again for your help, a little more digging helped me find the right spot online and I was able to retreive and move my old license, and generate a new license file.  I am now up and running.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Kindly share that location or method?

Top Tags