cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Reasons to upgrade Creo 4 to Creo 7

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Reasons to upgrade Creo 4 to Creo 7

Our user base has been asked for potential reasons or issues that upgrading may benefit the user productivity.

In my opinion, its really difficult to know what is going to help and or hurt users when upgrading, especially when users don't typically know what benefit is in future releases.

So, I'm asking for help from the Community for reasons I can give to improve our chances of getting the upgrade process moving.

Two reasons I know of currently are potential improvement of datum plane display on drawings and multibody part support which I have yet to see if it might improve our welded structures.

What else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:StephenW)

Reasons we upgraded:

1. Supports moving to Windchill 12 when we get there
  2. Creo Simulate Live has enchancements
  3. UI contrast is slightly better
  4. Mirroring without a centerline in sketcher is nice
  5. Default draggable side of the line in sketcher is now orange which make that feature stand out more
  6. We switched to the new sketcher icons because they are now customizable (smaller or larger, different colors)
  7. Partially fixed the point pattern issue
  8. PDMLink status as a column is a nice feature
  9. Drawing check box for same name as model is nice

We also rolled out some features that we weren't previously utilizing:

1. Updated material files that switch appearances automatically
  2. ModelCheck

Lastly we bought a Ansys Simulate license to play with since PTC has stated they may sunset Creo Simulate (although no date yet).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Interested for the same reason.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Reasons we upgraded:

1. Supports moving to Windchill 12 when we get there
  2. Creo Simulate Live has enchancements
  3. UI contrast is slightly better
  4. Mirroring without a centerline in sketcher is nice
  5. Default draggable side of the line in sketcher is now orange which make that feature stand out more
  6. We switched to the new sketcher icons because they are now customizable (smaller or larger, different colors)
  7. Partially fixed the point pattern issue
  8. PDMLink status as a column is a nice feature
  9. Drawing check box for same name as model is nice

We also rolled out some features that we weren't previously utilizing:

1. Updated material files that switch appearances automatically
  2. ModelCheck

Lastly we bought a Ansys Simulate license to play with since PTC has stated they may sunset Creo Simulate (although no date yet).

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Chris3)

Thanks @Chris3 , I will include! I really think this is just going to end up going no where but ya gotta try when presented with the opportunity.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Besides all mentioned items, Creo4 is no longer supported by PTC. If you are paying annual maintenance bills, you will get nothing for your Creo4 issues. 

FYI - I am in the same boat. Running Windchill 11.0 M030 and Creo4. I am in the middle of doing the upgrade to Windchill 11.1 M020 which will then allow me to upgrade to Creo 7/8. I will tackle the 12.0.x upgrade with Creo 9.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks @BenLoosli . We are at Windchill 11.1 M020 so I guess that isn't a roadblock ,which may be why they are considering the upgrade.

I'm not 100% sure we are under maintenance. There was a comment sometime back about letting it lapse. Last time I logged in to support and looked I was able to file a tech support request.  Maybe we've re-instated.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We  moved from Creo 4 to Creo 6 recently. I guess it's solved...

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Why did you only go to Creo6? Creo 7 and 8 are supported on Windchill 11.1 M020 with the right CPS.

We went to Creo 7 when we did the Windchill 11.1 M020 upgrade last year.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Large corporation issues. I am not in on the decision making. Sometimes I am asked questions and I make my best attempt at answering.

I am actually pretty happy with the move up to 3 releases behind...its an improvement from being 5 releases behind.  Its a good job so I try not to complain too much!

Top Tags