cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Relocating Creo Cache to Server

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Relocating Creo Cache to Server

Creo 2, M040

Background:

I'm running a test to move the Creo cache to the server (no PDMLink or other data management here).  At the moment I'm, the only one using the server based cache.  This will accomplish several things for us:

*   Maintain a commons place for user favorites and user creo_parametric_customization.ui files that will be accessible from the user's primary workstation as well as any workstation in the company including common PCs in conference rooms.
  *   Allow separate *.ui files & favorites for each version of Creo.  We must support what the client is running and typically we have clients on 2-4 versions.  Right now we have clients on WF4, WF5 & Creo 2.
  *   Get these client preference files out of a folder deep in Windows and out where we can manage them.

I have a backup mechanism built into our launch batch files that copies the info to the local hard drive.  Laptop users have a special launch script that they use when away that uses the local copies.

Problem:

Mostly I've noticed no issues with the server based cache.  Today, however, I noticed that renaming files was rather slow.  I discovered that renaming triggered updating files in the 'pseinfo' folder in the cache '.settings' folder.

Anyone know what this folder is for and is there any way to control what gets written here?  There are a variety of *.cfg, *.dat and other files in there and it seems that they are created and deleted regularly.

Thanks,

--
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 REPLY 1

No responses and I'm still not sure what that folder is for, but Creo writes to it constantly as you work.  It seems that putting the cache on the server isn't likely a good idea.

I'd still like to have the master user favorites & *.ui files on the server.  I need to figure out how to set the cache local but have the server get updated if the local files get updated.

Thanks,

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags