cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Save assy as a part

KrisR
1-Newbie

Save assy as a part

I have an assy that we wish to FEA thru Mechanica, and I'm told it needs to be a "part" to do this. How do I go about saving an assy to a part? There has got to be a way.....I know that I've done this in onther 3D softwares.

Thanks!

Kris

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Pro/Mechanica can deal just fine with assemblies.
(With some exceptions, for instance it doesn't like parts with
interference.)

But if you insist:
You can create a "component merge", or maybe just a STEP file of the
assembly will suffice (I'm not sure on that one).

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:KrisR)

Problem is, this is a large construction equipment assy which is welded together. Our organization does not like the weld feature within Pro E so we add the welds as extrudes, by hand. I have someone evaluating the Parasolid I exported to see if it feeds their needs.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Hi Kris,

if it's a large assembly, you're probably not going to like this much, but you can use an inheritance model. The part you won't like is re-assemblying everything. The nice part about it is that you can use inheritance functionality to remove features or update changes. You can change it back and forth between "merge" and "inheritance" based on your needs, as well as making it dependant or independant.

Joshua Houser| Pelco by Schneider Electric |Buildings & Business| United States| MCAD Tools Administrator
Phone: +559-292-1981 ext. 3490| Toll Free: +800-289-9100 ext. 3490

Top Tags