cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Saving prt to stl

lengyelbalazs
4-Participant

Saving prt to stl

Hi there,

I have an other problem with my model.

When saving into stl format, it doesn't save anything, just highlights one edge with green. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Balazs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I do have this problem from time to time if the image is what I is generating the error.

The green highlights show where the part is not divisible to the settings.

Small changes in the settings will allow it to properly export.

These settings may not be to your liking though.

You could try playing with precision.  I have never had to resort to this but it may make a difference.

You will also see an error on the message line when something fails. 

You might need to pull up the message bar to see more than one line.

Also make sure your model is solid.  Enable wireframe view and see if it is the color you expect.  If my part model is a surface, it shows in magenta with yellow edges in my modified color scheme.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Can you share the part?

Try changing the height and angle. 

Hi,

thanks for the answer, but it didn't solve the problem.

i dont like to share the part, i hope you understand it 🙂

Do you have any other ideas?

Look at the message log and/or the trail file and see if there is any info there. Sometimes error messages scroll by quick.

Does the .stl export work on other parts?

Yes, it does save other parts, i make a lot models in prt, then save it to stl.

that is why i am very surprised now..

Is it a solid part or just surfaces?

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:lengyelbalazs)

I think there are some geometric flaws in your model and you might be able to solve it by:

1. Try to change your settings(chord length, anle & etc) to minimum, just key in 0 and system will revert to its minimal values. If it still fails to generate the STL, go to step 2

2. Check for "geom check" errors on the highlighted area. Refine your geometry to get rid of those errors (such as tiny section or etc) .

You should be able generate a STL file after step 2. Good luck

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:BHOoi)

Hi,

you can apply temporary cut to your model to remove part of its geometry. This trick enables you to find problematic portion of model geometry.

Martin Hanák

I do have this problem from time to time if the image is what I is generating the error.

The green highlights show where the part is not divisible to the settings.

Small changes in the settings will allow it to properly export.

These settings may not be to your liking though.

You could try playing with precision.  I have never had to resort to this but it may make a difference.

You will also see an error on the message line when something fails. 

You might need to pull up the message bar to see more than one line.

Also make sure your model is solid.  Enable wireframe view and see if it is the color you expect.  If my part model is a surface, it shows in magenta with yellow edges in my modified color scheme.

Top Tags