cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Saving structure

jbrehmer
4-Participant

Saving structure

We use the basic file system to save/store our CREO data, not with Windchill. One thing I started to notice was CREO would make multiple save files, all with the same name but ending in a number in a sequence.

Why does CREO make a new assembly file to save the data? Is there a way to turn this off?

If I go and open a file in CREO, the ASM won't show with any numbers. Is this a storage versioning feature that CREO automatically does?

Thanks for any input,

Jason Brehmer.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jbrehmer)

It's simply a version #. At any time, if you find a corrupted file or made a mistake in a model and want to revert to a previously saved version, you can remove versions and re-open the model.

As of Creo 3, PTC now offers a way to turn this off. SAVE_FILE_ITERATIONS NO

I suggest learning to use the iterations. They saved me many many times and many hours of work.

Once a project is complete, use the purge command to delete old iterations.

jbrehmer
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thanks so much again Stephen. I'll try this out and make note of it.

What is the purge command and where can I find it?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jbrehmer)

purge.bat is a file in your <loadpoint>\Parametric\bin folder (ex: C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M070\Parametric\bin

Better yet, there are some free online programs, specifically spekan purge (Software download) that is highly customizable. This is the thread that shows what it looks like Re: Spekan Purge Tool

Purge.bat, when you run it in a folder that has creo objects with multiple versions, will remove all the versions except the latest.

There is also a file by file purge http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/index.html#page/pma/fundamentals/fund_two_sub/To_Delete_Old_Versions_o…

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

When you used Spekan Purge, you can choose how many iterations you want to save (last 2, last 4 last 10, or last 1). You can also turn "purge in subdirectories" on and off.

Top Tags