cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Server install of Creo moved to networrk drive

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Server install of Creo moved to networrk drive

I installed Creo 2m200 and m220 locally on a Win2008 server, then copied the install folders to a network drive. I modified the parametric.bat file for the new file location.

On the installation server, I can run the network location of Creo2. From my desk, The dos window pops up and disappears with no trail or std.out file being written.

I searched the copied location for references to the server local E:\ drive that it was installed on and did not find any references that needed changed.

1. What am I missing? I am pretty sure I have done this before because I have Creo2 M100, M120, M150, M160 and Creo 3 M040  all on the same network drive and they all run on my local computer.

2. Why can we not install directly to a network drive? I am sure I used to do this with Wildfire 2, 3 & 4.

18 REPLIES 18
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

Creo should install just fine to a mapped network drive.  I do it with Creo 3 all the time.

This article seems to confirm that:  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS115373

(Are you sure your pressing "Enter" after browsing to the mapped drive?)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

Tried that. already know the <enter> had to close the location change.

Is there a limitation to the length of the directory? j:\engineering\systems\ptc\cre02m220 is what I am entering. The sysetm is giving me a not enough disk space to install message.

I think that should be enough space!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Probably a dumb question, but you do have write access to that mapped drive, right?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Yes, I can create the folder to put the software in.

I have admin rights on the servers, just not on my workstation.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

That seems backwards... 

Seems like if they trust you with the server that they would do the same with your workstation.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Only the Windchill servers!

They let me hang myself if I screw them up. lol

But it does give me some elevated rights to the network drives which are on a NetApp server. ☺

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Here's what I'm seeing in the knowledge base:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS162658

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Run as administrator did not work.

Creating a new folder on the mapped X: drive did not work. x:|PTC-Creo2)

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Something's crazy here.  This seems like a permissions issue but maybe it really is a build issue.  Can you try to install a different build, just to verify?  (Don't actually install it, just see if the installer will get past this page.)

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Are you attempting to launch Creo with the .exe or the .bat?  Are you using a shortcut to whichever one with the "Start In" directory set to something local (NOT the network location)?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Shortcut on my desktop to the parametric.bat file which has been edited to the network location for the .exe and .psf.

I have tried both J:\Engineering\Systems\PTC\Creo2m220\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin and a shorter mapped location of X:\PTC\Creo2m220\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin in the .bat file.

Maybe if location length is too long, I will try to map the X: drive to j:\engineering\systems and see if it will install there.

This is how my .bat file is edited to point to where it needs its files. We run from the server like this all the time.batch file edit.JPG

Mine too, but creo2 when copied from the install location to the network drive will not launch from my workstation.

I have older versions that launch fine, m200 and m220 are the ones giving me problems.

Ben,

For a completely different approach...   I have had to do this in the past, but to be perfectly honest, it has been awhile.  (Maybe it doesn't work anymore)

-Install to the local machine,  -Move the install folder to the Server location, -Log into the server and run the "Reconfigure.bat".    -Then, set your shortcuts to the proper directories and you should be able to go.

Good Luck,

Bernie

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bgruman)

Still not launching

I can run parametric.bat on the server from both the e:\ drive where I do the initial install and the x:\ drive where I copied the install to.

I had to map the x: drive from j:\engineering\systems, which had worked on the server before shortening the location with the mapping.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have 2 systems.

The public system is where I cannot load Creo to a network drive or run it if installed locally and copied to a network drive. Yet I have 5 oter installs on the network drive that all work.

On the private network, I was able to install M220 to a network drive with no problem last night.

Maybe I do need to check with IT and see if they have put in some restrictions recently.

Could the problem was caused by Window’s DEP, (deny execute privilege). In the past I've had to turn it off in order to install correctly onto a mapped network share.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Turned off DEP protection

1. Open a command shell
  2. Backup current settings – bcdedit /export c:\savedbcd
  3. Turn off DEP – bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff
  4. Reboot
  5. Install Software

Turn DEP back on

1. Import saved settings – bcdedit /import c:\savedbcd
  2. Reboot

Top Tags