cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Server install of Creo, not on local user machines - 32&64 bit

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Server install of Creo, not on local user machines - 32&64 bit

For years we have installed Pro/E on a server, then provided launch shortcuts to users - rather than installing on each machine.  Many advantages of doing this.  Now planning for Creo 3.0.

Complicating factor: Most but not all users are now using 64 bit machines.  Have to provide for both 32 and 64 bit workstations.  Until today, we had to use two servers for this - one 32 and one 64 bit.

Got good help today from PTC tech support. Able to install both on a 64 bit server and launch both 32 and 64 bit with a single launch shortcut.  Very nice.  You may be interested in settting up similar.  PTC will likely post a case solution (CS) for this.  Ref Alcon case C12609698, TS Engr: Akshay Jakkali.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

Creo 2 supported installing both 32-bit and 64-bit to the same location during installation.  Creo 3 removed this capability and will now only let you install the version that matches your operating system.

The last time I spoke with tech support, the "PTC Supported" solution for Creo 3 was to have two separate installations on the server.  They refused to support any type of shared/common/merged installation.  With separate installs you would need to either provide separate shortcuts or use a custom script to pick the right shortcut for you.

I really didn't care for this approach since it requires twice the server space and redundant config files.  I found that simply doing two separate installations and then merging them together works great.  I'd have to double check, but I think I kept the 32-bit version of Creo agent just to make sure it would run on either OS.

There is a free utility, WinMerge that does a great job of showing the differences between the two installs.  This is what gave me confidence that this would work.  If you excluded everything that is identical and everything that is unique, there are very few shared files that are actually different (at the binary level).

I do still use a custom launch script to set certain environment variables and paths based on the bit-type of the OS.  So far this is working great. 

P.S.  Simply running the installer for 32-bit in the same location as a previously run installation of 64-bit does NOT work.  The last one installed wins.  You have to manually merge them.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom, thanks for the info.

Just to clarify for all - The exercise today (successful) was with Creo 3.0 M040.  Somewhat of a workaround but not much and seems to be robust and reasonable.  Did not try with WF5.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Mike,

Did you do two separate installs on the same server (possibly by temporarily changing the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE environment variable), or did you manage to end up with a single installation that works for both bit-types?  I can't tell from reading your original post...

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomU)

What I'd like to do is not provide the answer at this point but wait until PTC posts a case solution on this after (possibly) internal review.  May be something that can / should be done to make it more robust.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Fair enough.  Thanks.

Top Tags