cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Setting static port numbers for FlexLM?

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Setting static port numbers for FlexLM?

We've been having a bit of trouble allowing offsite folks to be able to access licenses for Creo (we're using V9.0). The IT folks have tightened up access to the network, and thus the random assignment of ports that is normal for the ptc_d daemon is not working well.

lmadmin is okay, because that is at the "standard" 7788 port.

I'd seen posts on these forums implying that I could add port to the end of the DAEMON line in the license file and that it would thereafter use that port for the ptc_d daemon. I did this, with 7799, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

Is this the correct method to specify that second port? It deviates from the method suggested by Flexura, but I figured this is PTC and they have their own setup for licensing. Am I wrong?

P.S. I know it is possible to set up the firewall to allow communication with ptc_d.exe and lmadmin.exe, but I'm just looking at the port issue at the moment.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you mentioned lmadmin ... this should mean that the lmadmin_ptc service is running on license server.

In such case ptc_d daemon port is set in server.xml file located in C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\conf directory. I think you can try modifying port="0" to port="7799", restart the service and test license access.

Note: I guess PTC recommends modification of port number via lmadmin web interface.

MartinHanak_0-1705065054687.png

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:KenFarley)

Ken,

Double check how the DAEMON port number is defined in the license file.  You need to use the format "PORT=####" vs. listing just the port number.  After you start the license service, check the log file.  It should list when ptc_d.exe daemon started and which port it is using.  If the 7799 port number is already in use, the log file should tell you that.  When the defined port is already in use, the vendor daemon may try to select port "0" or just default back to using a random port.

Regards,

Dan N.

Hi,

you mentioned lmadmin ... this should mean that the lmadmin_ptc service is running on license server.

In such case ptc_d daemon port is set in server.xml file located in C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\conf directory. I think you can try modifying port="0" to port="7799", restart the service and test license access.

Note: I guess PTC recommends modification of port number via lmadmin web interface.

MartinHanak_0-1705065054687.png

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin.

So if I understand this, I'm supposed to change the port designation in this line, directly from my server.xml:

<vendorDaemons>

<daemon port="0" restartRetries="10" preserveValueforRestartRetries="false" name="ptc_d" logOverwrite="false" logFile="./ptc_d.log" license="licensing/license.dat" executable="C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\x86e_win64\obj\ptc_d.exe" dlog="false" dateBasedVersion="false"/>

</vendorDaemons>

I'm to change the port from the specified "0" to "7799" or whatever we eventually decide is a good port number. I found Article CS28776 that gave some info about this, but thought it would be simpler if I could just add a specification to the license file. If this is the way I've got to go since we're running lmadmin, so be it.

I tried it out (it's always "fun" to mess with this stuff, isn't it?) and it looks like I'm in business. Rules of this crazy game are, of course, to keep a copy of the original working file(s) one is working with in case things go very wrong and you need to revert back to a working setup.

I'll just have to remember this added step whenever I need to update the FlexLM software.

Thanks for the advice.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags