cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Setting up FloEFD license without damaging Creo (Windows)

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Setting up FloEFD license without damaging Creo (Windows)

We're currently running the a FlexLM license server for our Creo licenses. I want to add a server daemon for FloEFD. Has anyone had the fun of doing this? Because of company policies, I need to set up an appointment to do this, since no one on-site has server access privileges (yeah, I know). I'd like to minimize the "experimentation" to get this running without knocking out the currently running Creo license server.

Anybody had any experience with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I spent some time looking at instructions provided online for handling FlexLM licensing, but in the end only some experimentation was successful. What I found out was:

(1) It's best to assume the FlexLM software is different for the two. I treated them as if they were totally unrelated.

(2) The only way I could get the FloEFD server to use the correct variables was to hand edit the "license.dat" file it uses. I had to manually specify the server name and path to the "mgcld" executable.

(3) Once I had a correct "license.dat" file, I had to explicitly stop the server for FloEFD, reread the license data, then start the server again. Nothing else would make it reconfigure for the new license information.

(4) After checking the log file to make sure the license server was running nicely (there's no equivalent to ptcstatus.bat), I had to completely uninstall FloEFD on the user machine, reboot, then install it fresh.

(5) After all this, it finally works. Hopefully, when the license codes expire in a year, it will be easier.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I spent some time looking at instructions provided online for handling FlexLM licensing, but in the end only some experimentation was successful. What I found out was:

(1) It's best to assume the FlexLM software is different for the two. I treated them as if they were totally unrelated.

(2) The only way I could get the FloEFD server to use the correct variables was to hand edit the "license.dat" file it uses. I had to manually specify the server name and path to the "mgcld" executable.

(3) Once I had a correct "license.dat" file, I had to explicitly stop the server for FloEFD, reread the license data, then start the server again. Nothing else would make it reconfigure for the new license information.

(4) After checking the log file to make sure the license server was running nicely (there's no equivalent to ptcstatus.bat), I had to completely uninstall FloEFD on the user machine, reboot, then install it fresh.

(5) After all this, it finally works. Hopefully, when the license codes expire in a year, it will be easier.

Top Tags