cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Size of .prt, .asm after a few saving

ptc-2027409
1-Newbie

Size of .prt, .asm after a few saving

Hi everyone, i'm always encountering a nasty thing with ProE. The size of my part files are increasing linearly with the amount of saving operation, even if there's nothing new in the part or assembly. (I save my files a lot since Pro E close randomly sometimes) They become terribly heavy and very difficult to open! We are even obliged to draw again some parts! For exemple, at this moment, i'm waiting for a 6Mo part to open for 15 min now. DOes someone have already encountered this kind of problem? Is there a solution? Thank you!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Seems to me that you dont have your part extenstion. Does your part read bearing.prt.1, bearing.prt.2, ect?

hi Fabien I also have that problem. But you can delete the old versions of your file. Go to File > Delete > Old version every time you save. I defined a mapkey for that, saving and deleting the old version simultaneously. So every time I save I use the mapkey. Hope that helps you

Hi Both of you, OMar: I don't see the point but yes, my part is named: piece.prt.1, piece.prt.2 ... up to piece.prt.41 whose size is 6 Mo. JohnLeo: What is it supposed to do? Thanks

Hi Fabien "Delete old version" function, deletes old version of the file and leaves the latest version of the file. Try opening the file with many part extensions then go to 'file' > 'delete' > 'old version'. You may check the folder (using windows explorer) if part extensions were erased. it worked for me.

Hi Jonhleo, your technique doesn't lighten the size of the last prt file. It just remove the former savings of the current file. Is it correct? Thanks

Hi Fabien, You have to delete older version and for that set working directory and go to (inside pro/e) window/open system window and type purge then hit enter and close this new window. Hope this will resolve your problem. Regards, Vimlesh

Hi! i'm sorry but the problem is not that there are a huge number of old versions of my .prt, but that my last .prt is 6Mo and that it takes a very long file to open. Best regards

Oops i meant "a very long time to open" and not "a very long file..." but you corrected by yourself

"Fabien LUCE" wrote:

Hi Jonhleo, your technique doesn't lighten the size of the last prt file. It just remove the former savings of the current file. Is it correct? Thanks

Top Tags