cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Slower to open models straight from creo in a brand new empty workspace, than to add to workspace then open

tallen
4-Participant

Slower to open models straight from creo in a brand new empty workspace, than to add to workspace then open

Since upgrading from Windchill 9 to 10, we have noticed that it is considerably slower to open models straight from creo, in a brand new empty workspace than to add to workspace then open.

Our models can be 20k+ parts, so we tend to use reps, which is why we want to add models by opening through Creo, instead of adding all to a workspace and causing that to crawl (20+ minutes), as this will only add the model required for that Rep.

Is there a setting we can change that could be related to this or a reason why we are seeing this issue?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tallen)

Opening any file directly in Creo will be slower as you are just doing the download behind the scenes instead of directly ahead of time.

tallen
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

It always seemed quicker to open the models in earlier versions, as long as you know the exact filename, from Creo than to go through the rigmarole of adding to a workspace and then opening the drawing.  Adding to the workspace first adds 20K+ parts to it, that only needs 3K+ parts for a particular drawing and then all the impacts of opening the workspace, even with filters active (have had to wait over 20 minutes in some instances) to cut down on the number items displayed.

I was hoping that there is a setting that could be changed / tweeked that would help the situation?

dschenken
21-Topaz I

If you are getting too many parts that aren't related, look at the options. It can be set up so that when an assembly is added it will also add all the drawings of the parts and any other parts that are also on those drawings, cascading into a huge mess.

What used to make opening the workspace go faster was to eliminate information columns; anything that requires information from Windchill such as Compare Status and such. Filters are probably applied after getting all the information for all the parts and may do no good to change the amount of talk between the client and the server.

Try making a view of only the filename column and see if that is quicker.

tallen
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

The parts are related unfortunately, as this is more or less a top level assembly which we are using Reps to create the drawings in specific areas, to cut down on the number of files retrieved and speed things up drawing wise.

I'll have a look at the columns, as there are things in there that are not needed and see if that helps, thanks.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

I intended that the parts in the assembly pull in drawings you aren't working with and that those drawings then pull in other parts that aren't related to your assembly.

If they are related then you should not have 3k vs 20k. You should always have only the required parts.

tallen
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

If I add the drawing using Windchill and collect relevant assemblies and parts, I get 20k items.  If I add the drawing with no dependents to Windchill, so only get the drawing in the workspace and then open drawing, I only get 3k parts, due to the use of both drawing and model reps.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

OK - I missed the Reps part. I haven't had a drawing that didn't have the master rep somewhere.

Top Tags