cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Splitting parts for Blowmolding

myurkovich
2-Guest

Splitting parts for Blowmolding

I've recently taken a position with a Blowmolding production plant as a tooling designer.  I'm coming from a SolidWorks environment to Creo 3.0.  I'm being tasked with finding the best method of using customer provided Creo files (solids) to generate preliminary blow mold surfaces for use in a seperate simulation package.  I think I've found a way of converting the solid files to surfaces, eliminating all of the surfaces I don't need and saving as a .stp file, but I'd like to know if Creo has a function or tool I could use to "split" the remaining geometry along a mold line.  Does anyone have any tips or experience with this, or even another community post that could shed some light?

I appreciate any advice offered and thank you in advance.

Mitch Yurkovich

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mitch,

I used to design blow molds using Pro/E (Creo) several jobs ago.  We had an extension that really helped with that.   I would be very surprised if your company didn't have a license of it already.

There are several different "flavors" of it, but look for something called a "Tool Design Extension".  It will allow you to create reference models, apply material shrink, and split models into core and cavity.  (Among other things...)

One quick way to tell if it is available to you is to look under the Applications menu for a Mold/Casting entry.(See screenshot.  From Creo Elements Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0, yours may look different.)

20150715-074122.png

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

TriMark Corporation

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mitch,

I used to design blow molds using Pro/E (Creo) several jobs ago.  We had an extension that really helped with that.   I would be very surprised if your company didn't have a license of it already.

There are several different "flavors" of it, but look for something called a "Tool Design Extension".  It will allow you to create reference models, apply material shrink, and split models into core and cavity.  (Among other things...)

One quick way to tell if it is available to you is to look under the Applications menu for a Mold/Casting entry.(See screenshot.  From Creo Elements Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0, yours may look different.)

20150715-074122.png

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

TriMark Corporation

Thanks Marc!

I was able to find a Mold/Cast function in Creo Parametric.  Just need to contact my admin about a licensing issue and I should be good to go.  Excellent advice, thanks again for your help!

Mitch

Top Tags