cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Summary. Can you rename a Parameter??

rrich
2-Guest

Summary. Can you rename a Parameter??

One of these days I will learn how to use modelcheck properly. I played and played with all the config files to try to get this to work in interactive mode. I swear it is set up properly but it would not rename the parameter of a sample file I was experimenting on. Maybe batch mode would be better and work I did not try that, but it should work this way or it should tell you that in the setup files.

In short I did this work around. I opened the family table then exported it to excel. Copied the column I wanted to rename pasted it in a new column and put the name at the top I wanted, then imported this excel back into the family table. Basically duplicating data but I do not care now I have a new parameter in the file and all is good. Re verified everything and stored it back into windchill and we are now good to go.

Thanks all.

I'm pretty sure you cannot rename a parameter, but this might work to create a new parameter with the values of the old:

* Create the new parameter in the generic
* Add the new parameter to the family table
* Create a relation in the generic: new_parameter = old_parameter
* Regenerate generic
* Open family table and verify
* Assuming the table is populated with the proper values, remove the old parameter from the family table
* Delete the relation
* Delete the old parameter from the generic

Full disclosure: This is a theory, I've not actually tried this. Don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

Of course, this is made more problematic if the old parameter is used in relations or reported on a drawing anywhere.

May also require ModelCheck to be run in Batch mode.

ModelCheck has a 'PARAM_RENAM' in the checks file (*.mch). I haven't used it but that would be my first attempt. I'm pretty sure it can't be done through the parameter interface.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags