cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary: Support To User Ratio

btvining
1-Newbie

Summary: Support To User Ratio

First of all, thank you to all that replied. It is always interesting to hear how other companies operate. Here is a summary of the replies I received (The names have been removed to protect the innocent).

-----
Before the downturn in economy our company operated with 18 users/1 administrator. Now we are running 30/1...
-----
We have three full time support people and 292 Pro/E licenses (approx 100:1).

We also support about 70 AutoCAD licenses, 30 Femap licenses, 20 Ansys licenses, 15 Nastran licenses, 7 FloTherm licenses and a few other mechanical tools with 5 or fewer licenses.

We don't do any system admin - we have another group for that.
-----
In General(I don't like to generalize because every
company is different), The Fortune 500 Companies will
provide the following: In larger companies where
there is a great care in supporting the users, I have
seen numbers like 1 Admin to every 15 Users. In the
last couple of years this number has increase to 25-30
users. In the worst case I have seen 1 Cad Admin for
every 50-100 users. Sometimes worst than this. When
these ratio's get this high usually there is a lot of
fustration between the departments.
-----
I am the sole Pro/E & PDMLink support person for 40 users of PDMLink and Wildfire 2. We also have another 20-30 users of Pro/PDM and 2001. I do support the 2001 users, but I don't know much about Pro/PDM. There are 2 others in our group of engineering IT support who do related things. One does some installs and adds new users and the other is the administrator for the Pro/PDM system.

At my last company, we had 2 support people for about 50 PDMLink and Wildfire users. Our manager did most of the configuration rules and setup of PDMLink.
-----
We have a support group of 4 for about 50 full and part-time users, but we also do custom application development and programming
-----
Three support people (dedicated to CAD only) to 110 CAD users.
Figure 20 users:1 admin
-----
Definition of admin: NOT (I Repeat: NOT) one of the users in the resource pool. There's more to the definition, of course, this is just a top level.
-----
We currently have 28 seats of Pro/E, 28 Ilink, 4 pro/manufacture, 3 mold design 2 mechanica, 1 ARX and 1 routed systems light. I support ~50 users, many occasional type, in 3 different buildings and 5 different engineering groups and 3 different manufacturing groups (or individuals). I will need to add some more seats soon too. Been using pro/E since before we actually
bought and installed version 6. (Back in the olden days of CAD, vendors would actually loan you hardware and software to get you hooked so I got started on version 4). I have an advantage some people do not in that the IT department here is very good and supportive (mostly) because they don't want to add what I do to their responsibilities. Sarbox has become a bit of an issue, ok, I'm sugar coating it, but we passed our audit the first time through with minor issues.

For the most part this is a full time job just keeping up with user questions and hardware/software issues, but I do other things like pretty pictures for proposals and ECO incorporations on the "ugly" programs that have been thru several different engineers over the years.
-----
We have one split time admin/engineer supporting 35 users. It works but not well at all. We are in the process of establishing a full time admin and could really use at least one more support person.
-----
~20 ProE Users
1 "Super-user" for configuring daily use (config.pro/drw.dtl/config.win/library/MC/Intralink/ open calls to PTC /etc)
1 IT for systems, updates, installations
------------- ----- ----- -------------- ----- ----- ---------------

Well, based on the responses I see there is an average of about 38:1. Some of this is real world and others provided their opinion as to where it should be. In general the real world ratio is higher than most would suggest. Imagine that.

Thanks again all. Have a great day.
Brian

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements