cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Time to move to Creo 2.0?

mdebower
18-Opal

Time to move to Creo 2.0?

Hi,

Wondering what the wisdom is with moving to Creo 2.0 later this summer. I see by the product calendar that Creo 2.0 m020 will be out in late August. Is the product stable enough?

We would be moving from Wildfire 4.0 any thoughts on that jump?

-marc

----=----
Urgent messages: I try to limit checking email to 3-4 times per day. If you have an urgent message for me, please call or stop by.

12 REPLIES 12
proed
1-Newbie
(To:mdebower)

Hi,

We're planning a move from Wildfire 4.0 to Creo 2.0 later this year: I've begun testing and preparing an install file, plus training materials. There will still be bugs like the silent install and others, but I'm going with it for 700 users eventually.

Would be interested to hear from others on the same topic.

Edwin

In Reply to Marc DeBower:

Hi,

Wondering what the wisdom is with moving to Creo 2.0 later this summer. I see by the product calendar that Creo 2.0 m020 will be out in late August. Is the product stable enough?

-marc

----=----
Urgent messages: I try to limit checking email to 3-4 times per day. If you have an urgent message for me, please call or stop by.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have to coordinate Creo with Windchill, but I may get to Creo 2 later this year.
It depends on when I get us to Windchill 10 and what effort is needed to go on to 10.1.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

We have been using Creo 1.0 since it was available for production. We currently run Creo 1.0 M030 and will move over to Creo 2.0 M010 by the end of the month.

Creo 1.0 has given us no major problems. It has bugs here and there like all software but nothing was a show stopper for us. Moving from Creo 1 to Creo 2 will be very easy and require no training or preparation for my users. I will only create a short video with some of the new enhancements like Dynamic Cross Sections and that's it.

Moving from WF4 to Creo 2.0 will be a much larger jump since WF5 actually had a Ribbon UI for drawing mode. You will require some training up front to get people ready for the change but I believe it will be easier than most people think. The Command Search tool in Creo is very useful and allows your users to find the commands they are looking for and learn the UI at the same time. This made our down time almost nothing and within a week everyone was loving Creo over WF5.

The only issue we have is not something Creo 1.0 or 2.0 does incorrectly but a decision PTC made to the FEA animation process. You can no longer add multiple animation frames without calculating every step during the anaysis. We used to run an analysis and then add 15 frames to show the animation between the start and finish. If you do that now, it will run calculations for each animation frame which makes the analysis take 15 times longer than it did in WF5.

PTC said they change this because the results were only accurate for the first and last frame, but we did not care about this. We understood the frames in the middle were only for a visual feedback of how things are moving but now we can't do this anymore. Each frame is forcing the calculations to be calculated which is a waste of time for us and I assume for many others that were using the extra frames for a visual purpose.

Just an FYI

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

bfrandsen
6-Contributor

Be aware that the requirements for the graphics OpenGL support has been changed from WF4 to Creo 2. OpenGL 3.1 must be supported. I need to upgrade hardware for 1/3 of our users due to this.
F001 had some problems using Mozilla embedded browser with Windchill, but it is fixed in M010 as far as I have tested it.

/Bjarne

When switching to new hardware you might take the AMD FirePro cards into account.
With Creo Parametric 2.0 these cards will support Order Independent Transparacny (OIT)(next to Blended and Stippled).
This is a technique developed by PTC and AMD and enables hardware enabled transparency: extremely fast and better quality.
AMD has exclusive rights for one year to use this technique.

Creo Parametric 2.0 M020 should have a solution for the config.pro maintenace problem in Creo. Currently in Creo when saving the config.pro it will save all options set which are read from all the different sources ([loadpoint]\text, $HOME, startup folder). With M020 you should be able to differentiate between these files again (just like it is currently in pre-Creo).

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten
CAD/PLM Manager
Fico B.V.
Ratio 6, Duiven
Phone: +31 26 3196215
Mobile: +31 644548554
www.besi.com

To: Marc DeBower <->, "-" <->
Date: 25-06-2012 07:36
Subject: [proesys] - RE: Time to move to Creo 2.0?

Be aware that the requirements for the graphics OpenGL support has been changed from WF4 to Creo 2. OpenGL 3.1 must be supported. I need to upgrade hardware for 1/3 of our users due to this.
F001 had some problems using Mozilla embedded browser with Windchill, but it is fixed in M010 as far as I have tested it.

/Bjarne

Bjarne,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will be posting a summary of this later this week, and so far no one has recommended against the upgrade.

Do you know approximately how old the hardware was that you had to replace?

-marc

Olaf,

Thank you for responding, we have traditionally stayed away from the AMD cards. They always had a reputation of being gamer cards, and not professional. I guess they deserve another look.

Sounds like it is definitely worth waiting for m020, we make extensive use of the config.sup and the different sources for the config.pro.

-marc

Bjarne, What type of problems did you experience on the computers that required upgrading the graphics hardware? Rendering? Crashing? other?

Thanks, Lawrence

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

If the multiple config file management issue is going to be resolved
(finally) in M020 that would be fantastic.

I'm curious, where did you get this information? The SPR [1] as well as
the case document [2] still shows TBD for an expected resolution
datecode for all versions of Creo.

[1] -
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

This was discussed in a TC meeting at PlanetPTC.

Andy Hermanson
Engineering Design Applications

tel 605.275.1040 x51114 mobile 605.310.8168
website www.daktronics.com

Here is the Summary. I am including a PDF file of all the compiled responses.

-marc

In Reply to Marc DeBower:

Hi,

-marc

----=----

All,

I led the config.pro topic at the June TC meetings. Jose demonstrated the proposed fix to the TC members and we agreed on the requirements of the resolution. The commitment from Brian Thompson was for Creo 2.0 M030 with a serious attempt to get it into M020. However, meeting the M020 deadline was questionable due to the scope of our requirements and the short amount of time before M020 code freeze. PTC has since confirmed that they were not able to get the config.pro fix into Creo 2.0 M020. According to Jose, it should be in Creo 2.0 M030 which was the real commit build from Brian - no matter how much we pressured him to commit to M020.

As with all PTC product functionality, 'forward looking statements are subject to change'...

Matt Meadows

Solutions Architect
VIRSO Inc
O: 618 937 8115
C: 314 749 8377
E: mmeadows@virsoinc.com

Top Tags