cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Trail files not saving to config.pro "trail_dir" location

jkopp415
3-Visitor

Trail files not saving to config.pro "trail_dir" location

After going through the different options in config.pro, the one option that keeps giving me issues is the "trail_dir" setting. I have tried setting it to $TEMP, AppData/Local/Temp, as well as other (non-read-write protected) directories, and no matter what directory I try it always keeps saving the trail files in the current working directory. I have tried this setting in both the config.pro file in Program Files/PTC/Creo/Common Files/text as well as my user directory, and neither of those seem to work either.

This issue is has been a big headache for my team as we're trying to prevent our CAD directories from getting clogged up with these trail files, and it would be really nice to have them automatically created somewhere else. For reference, I'm using Creo version 9.0.0.0. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

The method I've used to put all those trail files in one place is as follows:

(1) I have a directory that I can write to, C:\ptc\TrailFiles.

(2) I have my config.pro located in C:\ptc.

(3) The shortcut I use to start Creo, on my desktop, has "Start in:" set to C:\ptc

(4) In my config.pro I have trail_dir set to "C:\ptc\TrailFiles"

The only time I get any renegade trail files is when I inadvertantly double click on a Creo-related file. In those instances a trail file is started in the directory whose file I clicked. All other trail files are stored in a big pile in the specified directory. Periodically I'll clean them out.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:KenFarley)

Mine works same as Ken's.

Only difference is my 'top' folder is c:\PTC_User\%username% instead of c:\ptc. 

Hey Ken, thanks for responding.

This didn't work for me either, could it be something with the specific Creo version? In the mean time, I might just try reinstalling and see how that works for me.

@jkopp415 wrote:

Hey Ken, thanks for responding.

This didn't work for me either, could it be something with the specific Creo version? In the mean time, I might just try reinstalling and see how that works for me.

Hi,

trail_dir $TEMP option works as expected in my Creo 9.0.2.0.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

sometimes it happens that in File Explorer known file extensions are hidden. Then it is common for the configuration file to be named config.pro.txt instead of config.pro, and Creo therefore ignores it. Please check it out.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags