cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Transferring license to the same PC

PB_10567672
4-Participant

Transferring license to the same PC

Hi all,

We currently have a PC in desperate need of upgrading to Windows 10.

I have two drives inside, one boots Windows 7 (HDD) with a working, licensed Creo installation, the other is on Windows 10 (SSD) - this currently has Creo 4.0 'Parametric Simulate Direct Layout' (as it says on the back of the DVD box) , but I cannot get the license to work despite requesting a new one from the license portal on the website.

So, I'd just like to know if the procedure to transfer the license is any different? It has the same MAC address, but the computer has a different host name (edit - NOT a different domain name!). I'm quite new to the organisation and there's no documentation on how this was installed previously,. The guides I've watched don't really cover whether or not this will work.

Any tips on the procedure for doing this with minimal downtime would be really appreciated. I did try calling but it was very difficult to navigate and couldn't find anyone to speak to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@PB_10567672 wrote:

Hi Martin, thanks for the helpful response. I do believe I've already tried this, but I was getting a "license request failed for feature"

So, I will uninstall Creo, but to check, do I just copy that file from the Windows 7 folder, amend the hostname and paste it into the same Windows 10 folder then run Creo? Or do I still need to follow the file import feature on Flexnet? This is what I tried, but it failed.

Hi,

• uninstall Creo
  • uninstall FLEXnet
  • now you have clean Windows 10
  • save license file into any directory
  • put correct computername to SERVER line in license file
  • install FLEXnet ... import license file
  • when installation is finished ... run ptcstatus.bat command to verify that license is available
  • install Creo ... enter 7788@computername as license source

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Article - "Transfer of product license from an existing Host ID to a new Host ID": https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS20911

PB_10567672
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

So what I was asking is if this will work if the Host ID is the same (based on its MAC address)?

Hi,

Note: Below provide information is related to Creo Parametric.

1.]

The license of Creo Parametric is generated for specific network card physical address. If you license file is generated for Ethernet LAN network card, then license file must work both in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

2.]

Inside Creo Parametric license file you can find SERVER line, for example:

SERVER server01 PTC_HOSTID=00-11-22-33-44-55 7788

You must not change PTC_HOSTID=00-11-22-33-44-55 text string.

You can change computer name  server01

License transfer is not necessary.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin, thanks for the helpful response. I do believe I've already tried this, but I was getting a "license request failed for feature"

So, I will uninstall Creo, but to check, do I just copy that file from the Windows 7 folder, amend the hostname and paste it into the same Windows 10 folder then run Creo? Or do I still need to follow the file import feature on Flexnet? This is what I tried, but it failed.

@PB_10567672 wrote:

Hi,

• uninstall Creo
  • uninstall FLEXnet
  • now you have clean Windows 10
  • save license file into any directory
  • put correct computername to SERVER line in license file
  • install FLEXnet ... import license file
  • when installation is finished ... run ptcstatus.bat command to verify that license is available
  • install Creo ... enter 7788@computername as license source

Martin Hanák

Thanks for the basic guide, that was perfect.. And really was that simple. I'm now up and running with it all on Windows 10! 🙂

Just one more thing. I seem to only have the 'F000' installation/access on windows 10 installation, when we previously had 'M010' Should there be another license somewhere? We don't seem to have any reference to either on the key management part of this website..

@PB_10567672 wrote:

Just one more thing. I seem to only have the 'F000' installation/access on windows 10 installation, when we previously had 'M010' Should there be another license somewhere? We don't seem to have any reference to either on the key management part of this website..

Hi,

license is not related to F000, M010, M020 version of Creo 4.0. It enables you run any Creo 4.0 version.

If you look into license file you will see line similar to the following one

INCREMENT PROE_xxxxxxx ptc_d 35.0 permanent 1 \

35.0 is code assigned to Creo 4.0.

NOTE: If you do not pay maintenance fee to PTC then you do not have access to download page.

Martin Hanák

Ah yes. I now realise our company had more discs, and I have found and upgraded to the M010 installation. All is working fine now. Thanks again! 

Hello again Martin.

We have been running Creo 4 well on the new installation, but I have been told there are 2 modules (In the milling/manufacturing options from what I understand) that are not activated.

I have gone into options > Licences then after refreshing the licenses I can see the following (unchecked)
NC-COMPLETE_SET
Tool_Design_SET

So, after ticking these boxes, then loading the file, we are getting the software working as expected. Unfortunately, every time the software is closed then opened again, these options become unticked again.

I have tried running as an administrator, ticking the boxes and exporting the config file, then loading it again - but that the modules are not ticked again.
I released all the licences from the license management portal on your website, completely uninstalled and reinstalled all PTC software and the flexnet server, then went through the whole process again, but it still doesn't allow the above two modules to stay licensed.

Could you please offer any further advice?

Many thanks once again!

Paul B

@PB_10567672 wrote:

Hello again Martin.

We have been running Creo 4 well on the new installation, but I have been told there are 2 modules (In the milling/manufacturing options from what I understand) that are not activated.

I have gone into options > Licences then after refreshing the licenses I can see the following (unchecked)
NC-COMPLETE_SET
Tool_Design_SET

So, after ticking these boxes, then loading the file, we are getting the software working as expected. Unfortunately, every time the software is closed then opened again, these options become unticked again.

I have tried running as an administrator, ticking the boxes and exporting the config file, then loading it again - but that the modules are not ticked again.
I released all the licences from the license management portal on your website, completely uninstalled and reinstalled all PTC software and the flexnet server, then went through the whole process again, but it still doesn't allow the above two modules to stay licensed.

Could you please offer any further advice?

Many thanks once again!

Paul B

Hi,

you have to edit parametric.psf file located in Parametric\bin subdirectory.

Locate line similar to the following one.

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_xxxxxxx ()

According to license.res file:

NC-COMPLETE_SET has code 10114
Tool_Design_SET has code 10106

Use these codes to modify the above mentioned line

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_xxxxxxx (10106 10114)

Martin Hanák

Thanks once again! I eventually got this working with the right combination of license file and entering the details you mentioned. 

I really appreciate your help and quick responses 🙂

Top Tags