cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP following Windows 10 Creator Update - Solution...

jhaston-3
10-Marble

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP following Windows 10 Creator Update - Solution...

Creo/Windows 10 - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP following Windows 10 Creator Update...

I have suffered this issue following the update a few days ago.

Since then I updated all of my system and graphics card drivers.

These updates, on their own, have not resolved the problem.

I believe I now have a solution, associated with the embedded browser.

(temporary solution, until PTC/Microsoft do their work)

1. Reproducing the issue.

1.1) Save the config.pro file with the option

windows_browser_type ie_browser

or

windows_browser_type chromium_browser

1.2) Start Creo 3.0

On startup the embedded browser contains several tabs (e.g. PTC - Start, PARTcommunity, 3DModelSpace)

1.3) Now click on each tab to switch focus from one tab to another.

After a few clicks the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP occurs and causes a system failure/re-start.

2. A solution.

2.1) Save the config.pro file with the additional option

web_browser_in_separate_window yes

2.2) Start Creo 3.0.

On startup the browser is now in a separate window and handles user interaction without causing a system failure.

This has allowed me to get back to working in a normal, stable environment.

I hope it helps you too!

17 REPLIES 17
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:jhaston-3)

Cool, good job. I'd like to see someone repeat this. Also interesting that this really doesn't have anything to do with graphics drivers as previously noted. But I guess the default for every single issue seems to be blamed on graphics.

Hi,

I can confirm that the solution works for CR3 M110 on my Windows 10 notebook.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin, Thanks for confirming and sharing this.

I am a student, with the academic license. I found I was able to get to my config initially by toggling the web browser to off as soon as the client opened. Parametric kept leading to blue screen before I could change, and editing the text told me I didn't have permissions. If that helps anyone.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:rbunten)

In general (for me at least) the easiest thing to do is drag/copy the config.pro to the desktop , edit it with Notepad, save, and then drag/copy back to the PTC directory and allow the change when prompted. You don't need to edit through Creo, as long as you know what changes you want to make.

Matt Griswold has presented a correct solution.

Another thing you could do is have a look at the properties of the shortcut you use to start Creo. You can change the 'Start in' directory for Creo and put your own version of config.pro in that directory. Then when you start Creo it will apply the config file from your 'Start in' folder.

Creoproperties.JPG

I don't understand why you have a file permission restriction. It might be worth your while to look into that.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Jonathan Haston wrote:

I don't understand why you have a file permission restriction. It might be worth your while to look into that.

You need admin permission to write files into Program Files directory (unless you've turned off that protection). But Notepad doesn't even let you Save, it just errors.

I thought it was Raymond who needed help with the file permission issue.

Maybe I replied to the wrong post in the thread!

Matt, didn't you just say that you could easily edit with notepad then drag the modified file back to the Creo Directory? Surely that requires the same permissions needed to edit the file directly in the folder from which it came!

The best thing to do is create your own config.pro file and store it in your own project folder. Then make Creo Start in that folder.

Future changes to your configuration can then be made whenever you like.

Alternatively, you could get someone with admin rights to make all the changes you need.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Jonathan Haston wrote:

I thought it was Raymond who needed help with the file permission issue.

yes

Jonathan Haston wrote:

Matt, didn't you just say that you could easily edit with notepad then drag the modified file back to the Creo Directory?

yes

Jonathan Haston wrote:

Surely that requires the same permissions needed to edit the file directly in the folder from which it came!

no, unless you've turned off UAC or otherwise changed permissions of protected folders.

llie
16-Pearl

Try this as a solution.

We have always had issues with the embedded browser trying to pull website with java, flash, and other things that Creo cannot handle until we made our own embedded browser homepage. At Raytheon we have been using a simple homepage with just links and no graphics for years due to this issue.

Put these setting in a local config and give it a test.

windows_browser_type            ie_browser

web_browser_homepage         whatever_location_you_want\creo3_homepage.htm

These turn off the embedded browser tabs.

afx_enabled                              no

enable_3dmodelspace_browser_tab           no

enable_partcommunity_tab                          no

enable_resource_browser_tab                     no

Here is an image of our embedded browser with the links blurred out. Just simple links.

splash page.jpg

jhaston-3
10-Marble
(To:llie)

Hi llie,

That's great. I tried your solution and so far no bluescreen.

It also appears that it could be the afx option causing the issue.

With the afx_enabled option set to YES and the other options (enable_3dmodelspace_browser_tab, enable_partcommunity_tab, enable_resource_browser_tab) all set to NO, the bluescreen problem persists.

J

Great Job man...    It works for me.  Thinkpad Lenovo W541 loptop.   PTC CREO 3.0 M030

Cheers..

/gary

Hello guys!

There is an update out from Mocrosoft itself wich fixes this error, here the link to the downlaod:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4022716

Tried fixing it your way, but I had a problem opening Creo Simulate, and it didnt work.
The update above fixed everything fine.

Hope I could help you guys, cheers.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:KDX)

KB4022716 was replaced by KB4025342.

Martin Hanák
mgebhardt
6-Contributor

FYI:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS261077

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/4022973/stop-error-0x7f-and-windows-10-creators-update-crashes-when-you-use-cr

Resolution
  • Reported to PTC R&D as SPR 6622520
    • Microsoft has provided a fix for this issue in KB4022716 (June 27, 2017)
    • To resolve this issue, install the latest Windows 10 cumulative update
      • See Microsoft's article ID: 4022973
      • Manually check the updates: Click Start > type windows update > click Check for updates > click Check for updates
      • Standalone packages can be downloaded here KB4025342 (the latest cumulative update which replaces KB4022716)
      • For more information on Windows 10 update history see here
  • Workaround
    • If possible, update to Creo 4.0 where this issue is not reproducible
    • Roll back the 1703 Creators Update Windows 10 update: How to uninstall Windows 10 Creators Update
    • Some users have avoided this issue by updating their graphics card driver or avoiding selecting folders from the common folders area (use File > Open instead)

I had a different problem with Creator Update. After the automatic update, I could load Creo normally. However, whenever I used the merge/inheritance feature, the whole system crashed. Updating the graphic driver (NVidia Quadro K5000) didn't help. I think there is compatibilty issue between the graphic card and the update. I was able to restore Windows to previous version (I think the option is available if the last update is < 10 days old). My Creo has so far been functioning since the downgrade.

msteffke
12-Amethyst

This little trick just saved me again, after upgrading a laptop to Win 10.   Thank You!

Top Tags