cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Unable to open creo 8 files in creo simulate 7

MF_9592944
1-Newbie

Unable to open creo 8 files in creo simulate 7

I am using Creo Simulate 7.0.0.0

I recently upgraded to Creo 8 and now when I try to open part files created in Creo 8 in Creo Simulate 7 I get a message that the file "cannot be retrieved". I suspect this is a backwards compatibility issue but how can I work around this until Creo Simulate 8 comes out?

Here are the errors that I faced
[file] cannot be retrieved

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nope. Creo Simulation Live is yet another simulation package 😉 ATM you may use with Creo: Creo Simulation Live, which has it's own ribbon tab (Live Simulation), ANSYS Simulation (FEA solver developed with ANSYS) and Creo Simulate (original Creo FEA solver). That's what it looks like in my Applications tab:

LukaszMazur_0-1635428896526.png

If you don't see Simulate app, you must have installed Creo 8 without choosing Simulate module during the installation phase. If you have Creo Simulate 7.0 as a standalone app, you must have had Simulate license, so it should be possible to update it to Creo 8.0 and run Simulate within Creo using this license.

My guess is you didn't install Simulate while installing Creo 8.0 and that's why you don't see it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MF_9592944)

Directly you can't.

Why did you upgrade if you didn't have all of your tools in place to work with each other?

If Creo Simulate can open a Granite One file, not sure of the name,  you can try to Save As from Creo8 to that file type then open it in Creo Simulate. Another option maybe a STEP file.

Yeah I didn't realize simulate wasn't part of the upgrade to creo 8. Kind of sneaky of them but I'm sure it was mentioned in that long document I was supposed to read before upgrading. I almost never use creo simulate, so I didn't look into it too much before upgrading.

I was able to work around by saving as a .neu file and importing into creo simulate 7. I bet STEP would work too, just didn't try yet. Thanks for replying!

P.S 

Apparently there used to be an add-on called Granite Cross Release Interoperability (GCRI) for opening older release files but seems like it's no longer supported in creo 7 an onwards... https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS34192 

BTW, there won't be a separate Creo Simulate 8.0 application. PTC has decided to cease development of separate apps, so now Simulate is available as extension/module to Creo Parametric 8.0. You should be able to run it by going to Applications tab and selecting Simulate app while having your model open.

I see, so now you have to buy Creo Simulate Live to do any simulations? That's the only thing I see on the Simulate tab. Kind of annoying when you used to get simulation as part of the package =(

Nope. Creo Simulation Live is yet another simulation package 😉 ATM you may use with Creo: Creo Simulation Live, which has it's own ribbon tab (Live Simulation), ANSYS Simulation (FEA solver developed with ANSYS) and Creo Simulate (original Creo FEA solver). That's what it looks like in my Applications tab:

LukaszMazur_0-1635428896526.png

If you don't see Simulate app, you must have installed Creo 8 without choosing Simulate module during the installation phase. If you have Creo Simulate 7.0 as a standalone app, you must have had Simulate license, so it should be possible to update it to Creo 8.0 and run Simulate within Creo using this license.

My guess is you didn't install Simulate while installing Creo 8.0 and that's why you don't see it.

Top Tags