cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Updated FLEXLM file has a newer "release" level than were are currently running

GC_7975712
1-Newbie

Updated FLEXLM file has a newer "release" level than were are currently running

I am using Creo Parametric 3.0 M180

I was sent new FLEXLM files recently for the addition of a "piping and cabling" license. These files were setup for "release 8.0", but we are currently running "release 3.0"? Do we need to have another set of FLEXLM files reissued setup with "release 3.0" or will the current files setup with "release 8.0" work?
7 REPLIES 7

We run Creo 4.0 and I just checked and our license files list "Creo 6.0" in the Release column. I don't think it matters what that says - from what I've seen the FlexLM license servers are compatible with the older versions of Creo. The only trouble I've ever had is trying to run a newer version of Creo with an *old* server. That sometimes isn't going to work.

Like Ken said, it shouldn't matter. "Release 8.0" means it's the highest Creo release the license file can support, so you should be fine using it with Creo 3.0, but you wouldn't be able to run Creo 9.0 using this license file.
Just one thing: to be able to use the license with older Creo release, install licenses using lm_*_standard.txt file – that's the one working with older releases. If you use just lm_*.txt (without standard), you'll be locked to use only highest available Creo release (8.0 in your case).

@LukaszMazur wrote:
Like Ken said, it shouldn't matter. "Release 8.0" means it's the highest Creo release the license file can support, so you should be fine using it with Creo 3.0, but you wouldn't be able to run Creo 9.0 using this license file.
Just one thing: to be able to use the license with older Creo release, install licenses using lm_*_standard.txt file – that's the one working with older releases. If you use just lm_*.txt (without standard), you'll be locked to use only highest available Creo release (8.0 in your case).

Hi,

FYI I always use license file containing BORROW keyword. This file allows me to run Creo 3.0 an higher.

Martin Hanák

Sorry to hijack this thread (kinda, maybe?) but I've been wondering if it is okay to install a later version of FlexLM to support older versions of Creo like 4.0, 3.0, etc. There seem to have been security flaws in many versions of Flexera software. I'm wondering if I should just use the installation package for Creo 8.0 to jump up to FlexLM version 11.17.1.0. Am I asking for trouble, or this okay to do?

Hi,
1.] FlexLM version 11.16.2.1 is compatible with older versions of Creo like 4.0, 3.0 (I am not sure about 2.0)
2.] I would expect that FlexLM version 11.17.1.0 is compatible with older versions of Creo like 4.0, 3.0, too (although I didn't try)

3.] launch install_license_server.exe to install FlexLM version 11.17.1.0 (do not forget to uninstall previous version)

Martin Hanák

I just checked and I was able to start without any issues Pro/E Wildfire 3.0 using Flexnet 11.17.1.0, so I think you shouldn't have any troubles running older Creo versions with this Flex release.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip. I think I tried doing so back with Creo 2.0 and had some problems, so I just resorted to sticking with the usual standard.txt license file 🙂 I might give it another shot, though.
Top Tags